New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hoggie123
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2011 :  18:41:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right, i purchased a hoggie two weeks ago, and i am asthmatic.
I am quite nervous of the hoggie, he is about two, and is hissy if i touch him in his viv. I am using gloves to get him out, and then handling him without gloves, once he is out... I am scared he will bite in the viv...
I am scared i will get a reaction to the venom, and thats whats putting me off handling, do you advise anything ?

Oi.

Kehhlyr
Hognose Admin

260 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2011 :  00:59:43  Show Profile  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Only to make sure you don't have food smelling hands when you handle him, if he's got a good feeding response.
Other than that just relax and you'll soon realise that you've worried over nothing.

I think I've taken about 5 small tags from mine now, only 1 got me properly.
Most of the time they wont strike at you with an open mouth anyway, it's all noise then a headbut.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon
SOME OF MY ANIMALS

Go to Top of Page

hoggie123
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2011 :  20:17:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fair enough, its just the venom that worries me, how bad is it, and what are the chances of something bad like anaphylactic shock?

Oi.
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
Hognose Admin

260 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2011 :  10:25:24  Show Profile  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hard to say the chances in all honesty, if you're allergic to bee/wasp stings then you have a higher chance of having a bad reaction apparently.
When I got my good tag I had a balloon hand for a couple days, as did another member of this forum. Yet someone else had no reaction at all.

LouiseB - Tagged and reaction - http://www.thehognosesnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=922
Lettsy - Tagged no reaction - http://www.thehognosesnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=921
Me - Tagged with small reaction - http://www.thereptilian.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=1578

It can vary, it's just a matter of taking any precautions if you do (and pics of course).

SOME OF MY ANIMALS

Go to Top of Page

hoggie123
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2011 :  23:17:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right well thats fair enough, are there not anyways that can be taken to make sure you don't get bitten in definate?

Oi.
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
Hognose Admin

260 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2011 :  00:18:01  Show Profile  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately not, aside from regular handling so they learn to be very tolerant of it and not having mousey smelling hands.

SOME OF MY ANIMALS

Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2011 :  13:18:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to add, it isn't especially painful, just uncomfortable when your hand swells up - it had no effect on my breathing at all. But if you are prone to anaphylactic shock, then do take extra precautions when you handle your hoggy. Wash your hands every time you pick him up and use tongs to feed hm!

1.0.0. Western hognose (Baldrick)
0.1.0. Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)
R.I.P. Bob (Western hognose)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000