New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2011 :  11:39:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got a new hoggy last week, and although he's about 3 years old I don't think he's been handled very much. He's really nervous and he gets all huffy and puffy if I even look at him through the side of his RUB!

I was just wondering what the best way to calm him down would be? Should I just completely leave him alone for a while or do I need to be handling him regularly to get him used to it?

I got my other hoggy when he was a baby so it was quite easy to get him nice and tame but I've never dealt with a grumpy adult before. He does stop huffing at me once I've picked him up, but he is still a bit jumpy and nervy in my hands and I don't want to traumatise him

1.0.0. Western hognose (Baldrick)
0.1.0. Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)
R.I.P. Bob (Western hognose)

Kehhlyr
Hognose Admin

260 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2011 :  14:56:10  Show Profile  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I can't speak for experience on adult hoggies, but if they're anything like grumpy kings (which I imagine they are) then I'd just start slowly with him.
Give him a little while to get used to his new home and the sights/movements/smells as well.
A nice secure place for him to hide, yet still be able to keep an eye on things outside the viv so to speak should help as well as it'll feel lovely and safe there, yet can still be nosey.

Aside from that, I'd say patience and perseverence is the key.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon
SOME OF MY ANIMALS

Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2011 :  15:02:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He does have a couple of hiding places and he's already taken to sitting inside his half-coconut with just his head poking out, so he is obviously curious about his surroundings. I hope this is a good sign!

He's just such a cute-looking snake that I suppose I'm impatient to handle him. I will try to restrict myself to playing with my other hoggy for now!

Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2011 :  15:24:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, so now I've learnt my lesson... I was changing Bob's water this morning and couldn't resist giving him a little stroke. Obviously I startled him cos I got tagged! I shall definitely have to learn to be patient in the future!

Go to Top of Page

MrsA82
Hatchling Hoggie

144 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2011 :  15:49:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The little devil

I've never had more than a head butt so far!!!
Hope he settles in soon so you can have a proper cuddle!!

1.1 Extreme Red Albino Hognose
0.1.0 normal 100% het orange albino hognose
0.1.0 Normal hognose
3.5 Royal Python
0.1.0 Cornsnake
Go to Top of Page

hognose
Snake Mite

17 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2011 :  17:21:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's very unlucky u got tagged,I bought a female and I think the previous owners never fed or handled her properly as I couldn't go near the tank without her hissing and hooding up,And I understand that new environment aswell,even stricking at me but after 3 weeks Shes settled down and I pick her up without probs,only time she hisses is when she's in her fav hide,hopefully patients and care with sort it out
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Hatchling Hoggie

United Kingdom
157 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2011 :  17:51:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awww poor little bob. I'm sure he will settle down soon for you

1.1.0 Hognose - Mr Hoggie, Miss Piggy
5.4.0 Corns - Swayze (ghost) Izzy (normal) Alice (amel) Peanut (butter motley) Noisy (lavender) Palace (amel) Lizzy (Normal) Connie (normal) Carmellia (butter motley)
0.1.0 cat - kizzy
1.0.0 Foster Dog - Paddy

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2011 :  11:02:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poor little Bob...?!
I do feel very unlucky, since hoggies are supposed to be the snakes that almost never bite! Baldrick did get me once, but it was more of a feeding response than a defensive thing. Anyway, I have tentatively made friends with Bob now, he let me pick him up for a while last night without any hissing or fuss. I'm going to try feeding him next week, so fingers crossed!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000