Incredibly Long Time to Shed...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chromisca
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  08:17:07  Show Profile  Click to see Chromisca's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The first time Boss shed with me it seemed to go very well. This time however he seems to be taking his time... his eyes blued about two weeks ago and as of last night he still hadn't shed. Now I've noticed he's pulled away shed on the end of his tail, but nothing else.

I know these guys don't like a high humidity, but would it be safe to give him a soak to help him out a bit? The whole shedding backwards thing has me a bit worried.

Thanks in advance for any info you can throw my way

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  09:40:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Soaking your hoggy won't do him any harm, if you can get him to stay in the water... There is a thread somewhere on this forum about using Shed-Ease, I'll try to find a link to it.
I know it sounds obvious, but have you checked through his bedding to make sure he hasn't actually hidden his sloughed skin where you can't see it? My hoggy once managed to get underneath his heat mat and shed his skin there, so I was looking around for it for ages, and I eventually found it all dried up and stuck to the mat.

1.0.0. Western hognose (Baldrick)
0.1.0. Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)
R.I.P. Bob (Western hognose)
Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  09:42:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here you go
http://www.thehognosesnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=716

Go to Top of Page

Chromisca
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  10:40:57  Show Profile  Click to see Chromisca's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have checked through the bedding and haven't seen any shed unfortunately. I do make a habit of sifting through it regularly as he likes to hide his poo in various places.

I did have a look at the link with the shed-ease before posting here and couldn't find anywhere whether or not it's food graded. Just concerned if he ingests some while in a bath. I'll try giving him a regular soak and see how he does (and how much he hates me after!)

Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  14:48:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hadn't really thought about the ingestion issue, although I would assume that as it is specifically produced for helping reptiles to shed, it ought to be OK. Anyway, see how it goes with just plain water and let us know if there are any developments!

Go to Top of Page

RedHog
Egg

United Kingdom
71 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  19:03:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rather than soaking I would place a tub with some damp spagnum moss in his viv and if he is having problems shedding this will help the skin to loosen, bare in mind also that the time between hogs shedding cycles are quite infrequent
Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  10:22:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find that if I put out a damp hide for my hoggy, he just ignores it, but it could be something to try if it hasn't been tried before. I think also that the OP said his snake had gone blue but nothing had happened since, so it's more than just a case of infrequent shedding.

Go to Top of Page

Chromisca
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2011 :  11:57:56  Show Profile  Click to see Chromisca's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sorry it took so long for an update, being following this whole Japan disaster

I gave him a nice soak (much to his dismay), and he seemed to get almost all the shed off. There's still like half of his head including one eyecap with shed still there. Don't worry, I've got no plans of removing this eyecap myself, my husband said all I could really do is keep giving him a soak and letting him absorb the water and hopefully it'll come off on it's own. Don't know if anyone else has any other suggestions? Never had a snake with such a bad shed before, and his last one went off without a hitch. Poor little Boss

Go to Top of Page

Chromisca
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2011 :  12:04:35  Show Profile  Click to see Chromisca's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, just did a search and saw another member on here spoke to their vet and applied Viscotears to the retained eyecap. Think I might call my vet tomorrow morning about this to double check unless anyone else has some ideas.

http://www.thehognosesnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=571

Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  15:04:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a good idea. I've heard of people putting their snake into a wet woollen sock so that they can wriggle any unshed bits of skin against the wool and get it off that way, but I'm sure the vet will be able to help.

Go to Top of Page

Chromisca
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2011 :  00:25:51  Show Profile  Click to see Chromisca's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Spoke to the vet this morning and he said the Viscotears product was a very good idea and completely safe to use. I put a teeny drop on a Q-Tip and applied it to the eyecap very gently, gave the tub a spray and put him in it, so hopefully it'll help.

Never thought of the sock idea, might have to try that too... and this whole time I've only been musked on twice!

Go to Top of Page

Mazz
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2011 :  17:55:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a quick query of the back of this, how long between sheds is normal?
Princess shed just after christmas and isn't showing any signs of shedding soon, didn't know if I should be concerned?
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
Hognose Admin

260 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2011 :  22:37:31  Show Profile  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've had one shed off mine since I got it as a hatchie in October.
Shedding wil depend mainly on the growth rate.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon
SOME OF MY ANIMALS

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000