Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PaulaD
Snake Mite

Ireland
27 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2011 :  17:48:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,
Needless to say, I m aware two of my hogs are in need of being put out to pasture, but wanted any information or reaction from those of you with some to spare.

My male hog, about 16", has literally turned into a pancake, totally flattened on one side.. if you hold him gently and he slides through my hand, you can almost feel and hear some type of deflated grinding sound!!! I aint joking here folks...Somethings not good. However, I love him and he stays, but any ideas on what happened this guy... is it respiratory/lung related??

And my old female is now completely like rubber. There s no muscle tone or strenght in her at all, even down to how politely she now nibbles her food!She s now becoming increasingly like my granny!!! She ll bend and flop and I m not talking the "playing dead" routine these guys thrust upon their enemies.. This girl would pass as a fake snake. Is it just old age, I ve no idea what age she is, is there anyway of telling this, or have I pretty much been shown the signs??

Paula Dunne

Kehhlyr
Hognose Admin

260 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2011 :  23:18:40  Show Profile  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
How long have you had them?
The flat on one side could be damaged ribs, especially with the grinding sound.

If you've not had them long I'd recommend getting them to a rep vet fairly swift for a checkup as like you said, something isn't right.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon
SOME OF MY ANIMALS

Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2011 :  09:46:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, that is a bit strange... did the problem with the male happen gradually or did you find him flattened suddenly?? Does the female seem OK other than having no muscle tone - i.e. does she feed well and does she still seem interested in her surroundings?
I would defo get the male at least to a vet. Do you have a decent one near you?

1.0.0. Western hognose (Baldrick)
0.1.0. Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)
R.I.P. Bob (Western hognose)
Go to Top of Page

PaulaD
Snake Mite

Ireland
27 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  21:42:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your input. No, my male was never flat. We owned many different snakes which were kept a an expartners location. We d 60 pairs. To cut a long story short, I got custody of the smaller breeds, and when they all arrived, I found the male to be in this condition. I had nt seen them in a while. There are no decent vets overhere. One lady ONLY, who calls herself a reptile vet after a weekend course in the UK.My other female hog diedafter getting eggbound and I took her to see this lady. After 180€ my girl died 2 days later.
My existing female "floppy" hog is a very content lady, curious and active and loves her food. She s a slow mover but very alert, I dont know who owened her previous to me, but her muscle tone was always poor. She s a pet and loves being taken out of her enclosure. They re both good feeders and active. I ll never try breeding them again though. So they ll be purely pets for as long as they re here, and I d never move them on now.
Thanks for your input.

Paula Dunne
Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2011 :  11:46:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it all depends on how happy you think they are - I know it's difficult to tell with snakes, but if they don't appear to be in pain or distress and you're prepared to look after them for as long as they're around, then I can't see a problem.
It's a real shame you don't have a decent vet, though. I'm quite lucky in that my vet has proper experience with reptiles, and is only a half hour drive away from me.
What will you do with the male if you think he's in pain or suffering from something more serious than just old age? I'm not asking in an accusatory way, just interested to hear.

1.0.0. Western hognose (Baldrick)
0.1.0. Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)
R.I.P. Bob (Western hognose)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000