New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mazz
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2010 :  18:42:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all, I just recently got my first snake, and she (maybe he I haven't checked yet) is all happily set up in her viv, she has eaten and seems to be happy with her various hides, (although seems to favour he coconut shell) I was just wondering how long I should let her settle before trying to handle her, I was changing her water the other day and she struck at me, and i'm wondering if she just needs a little time or if I should be handling her to get her used to hands?
Also how would folks approach a hoggie that is striking? She is still small, only about 8-10 inches long at the moment, and has been in the house for 5 days now.

Elbee
Snake Mite

20 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2011 :  17:30:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would give it a good week atleast before you start handling it. They tend to strike a lot but rarely bite.
Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2011 :  13:21:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definitely leave it for a week or so, and after that, just ignore any striking behaviour. I tend to just pick my hoggy up even if he hisses at me, and as soon as I've got him in my hand, he stops doing it.
Funnily enough, he loves his coconut shell too - must be a hog thing!

1.0.0. Western hognose (Baldrick)
0.1.0. Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)
R.I.P. Bob (Western hognose)
Go to Top of Page

Mazz
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  07:58:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the input folks, its been just over a week now, but she just ate again 2 days ago, i'll leave her till she needs cleaning out, then she has no choice but too get picked up :)
Especially as I just bought some new bits for her Viv so it needs some rearranging.
Go to Top of Page

Mazz
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2011 :  19:57:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Princess came out to play today, and once she was out of the tank she was very calm, she was stroppy until i leaned past her to put a vine into her tank but she climbed it up to my hands and was quite happy, i might get a stick for getting her out for now until she is more comfortable.
Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2011 :  13:07:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's good news - they do tame very quickly so I doubt if you'll have very many problems now that you've handled her a bit.

1.0.0. Western hognose (Baldrick)
0.1.0. Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)
R.I.P. Bob (Western hognose)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000