Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Crazeemaz
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2010 :  13:50:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

I am not very good with genetics and hets so please can someone explain to me. I have just bought my first Hognose - pics to follow soon! He/she is 100% het albino but I dont really understand this. How did this come about - what is the parentage for this to be the case? How can you be 100% certain he is het albino?

Thanks

Mandie
Hatchling Hoggie

185 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2010 :  19:29:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A 100% het albino has 1 parent that was a visual albino, so if mated to another visual this snake has a 1:4 chance of producing visual albinos.

Albino's are a recessive gene, ie they need 1 copy of the morph from each parent to give you a visual, breeders use normal snakes to help spread the gene and diversify the gene pool. I have both hets and visual albino's here for that very reason, plus I'm hoping to produce red albino's at some point so need to put my visual albino's to my red phase and keep the strongest red coloured hatchlings.

I wouldn't need to worry about the albino side as I know they will have 1 copy from my visual parent, use 2 different males to 2 different females to get the red phase 100% het albino's that I can then use for the red albino's. Yes it does take yrs to get there but for me that's the love of the hobby.
Go to Top of Page

Crazeemaz
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2010 :  14:33:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow sounds good. Well I only have the one so far andd dont even know if it is male or female as the shop hadn't popped them.

Have several other snakes, corns, Kings and Royals so ok with the just one hognose for now. (Hubby will go mad if I buy any more this year!)

But hopefully in the future I will get another
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000