Finally Feeding Again
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

crazysnakeman
Snake Mite

18 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2010 :  07:39:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So after 6 weeks of trying to get my hoggie to feed, he finally took a mouse! over the moon about it..!

I had a problem with one of my royals, where if the room or feeding tank smelt of rodent, he wouldnt eat, but if the feeding tank smelled of.. tank.. and a offered a rodent - ie. only the rodent smelled like rodent, and not everything else aswell, he would take it no problem!

I tried this with the hoggie, and boom, first time I thought to try it like that, he ate! No idea if that is the reason behind him starting up again, but it might be worth a try if anyone else gets stuck for ideas on enticing your hoggie to eat again.

Cheers,
Josh
Josh

Kazerella
Hognose Admin

United Kingdom
746 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  16:03:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great news

Hoggies are a bit weird with their eating habits, but when you do find out how your hoggy likes it you should have fewer problems

Go to Top of Page

filardimarg2
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
39 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2010 :  23:15:54  Show Profile  Click to see filardimarg2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I was told to try tinned salmon juice, they took it first time, in seconds in fact.
Marg.
Go to Top of Page

TegantheHognose
Snake Mite

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2010 :  21:36:51  Show Profile  Send TegantheHognose an AOL message  Reply with Quote
^ That's good to know.
I heard that aswell filardimarg2.

I just bought mine about last week, she's a female and the woman said she hadn't been eating. So with this, i bought a pinky and she refused it.
I put her in a container with it for a few hours, still nothing.
So she basically hasn't had anything for a week. From all the research i've done, I found out that in october&november they just stop eating.

I'm glad yours started up again though.
I'll get pretty worried if mine goes for another 5 weeks without anything.

Maybe you could've been something I'd be good at.
Go to Top of Page

Lettsy1
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2010 :  10:37:36  Show Profile  Click to see Lettsy1's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hiya, my little hoggie stopped feeding 3 months ago, (he had one small pinkie in that time) tried everything braining, scenting, leaving overnight but no success, then i realised i had changed him from sand to aspen about 3 weeks before he stopped eating, so decided to change him back to his sand a week ago. Lo and behold, today he took his first fuzzy!!! will have to address the shedding probs i had (which is why i changed him to aspen in the first place!) by putting in a moist hide and have upped the humidity so will see how he goes. So dont worry too much as long as they're not losing weight they are fine, we get more worried than they seem to be. Fingers crossed for you hun!

1.2.0 Royal Python (Dash,Sheba & Ditto)
1.1.0 Western Hognose (Frank & Grace)
0.0.1 Snow Corn (Ghost)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000