The Hognose Snake Forum
The Hognose Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Hognose Snake Posts
 Hognose Snake - General Keeping Information
 Playing Dead

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alex Earl Posted - 10/12/2010 : 17:44:24
we all know that hognose snakes can play dead, but would it count as being cruel if i tried to make it play dead by winding it up? and would it remember me annoying it and hold a grudge?

thanks
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
LouiseB Posted - 11/12/2010 : 14:41:16
I think how easily they do it depends on whether or not they are captive bred. My hoggy is, and has never played dead - he doesn't even hiss very much so I assume that if I wanted to provoke him into doing the playing dead thing, I would have to frighten him quite badly. Which of course I would not want to do.
Other hoggies may be different, but I think that any snake which has been in captivity for a while will have had the instinct tamed out of it.
Alex Earl Posted - 10/12/2010 : 22:21:09
would i be asking if i wasnt serious? ofcourse i wouldnt want to distress it but some hognoses play dead from the slightest touch so i was just wondering. and your comparison is absolutely ridiculous because i never said i wanted to hurt it did i?
LouiseB Posted - 10/12/2010 : 19:09:25
Are you being serious? I mean, I'm sorry if I've misread your tone, but this looks a bit like trolling to me...
If you're really asking though - I don't know if you would call it cruel exactly, but it would be unkind, and anyway, why would you want to cause distress to your pet?
As for remembering, a snake probably doesn't have a complex enough mind to "hold a grudge", but assuming you want a pet that you can handle calmly in the future, I don't see what you would hope to gain from upsetting him.
Would you poke a dog with a sharp stick just to see if you could make it bark at you?

The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000