Playing Dead
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alex Earl
Snake Mite

19 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2010 :  17:44:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we all know that hognose snakes can play dead, but would it count as being cruel if i tried to make it play dead by winding it up? and would it remember me annoying it and hold a grudge?

thanks

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2010 :  19:09:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you being serious? I mean, I'm sorry if I've misread your tone, but this looks a bit like trolling to me...
If you're really asking though - I don't know if you would call it cruel exactly, but it would be unkind, and anyway, why would you want to cause distress to your pet?
As for remembering, a snake probably doesn't have a complex enough mind to "hold a grudge", but assuming you want a pet that you can handle calmly in the future, I don't see what you would hope to gain from upsetting him.
Would you poke a dog with a sharp stick just to see if you could make it bark at you?

1.0.0. Western hognose (Baldrick)
0.1.0. Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)
R.I.P. Bob (Western hognose)
Go to Top of Page

Alex Earl
Snake Mite

19 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2010 :  22:21:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
would i be asking if i wasnt serious? ofcourse i wouldnt want to distress it but some hognoses play dead from the slightest touch so i was just wondering. and your comparison is absolutely ridiculous because i never said i wanted to hurt it did i?
Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  14:41:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think how easily they do it depends on whether or not they are captive bred. My hoggy is, and has never played dead - he doesn't even hiss very much so I assume that if I wanted to provoke him into doing the playing dead thing, I would have to frighten him quite badly. Which of course I would not want to do.
Other hoggies may be different, but I think that any snake which has been in captivity for a while will have had the instinct tamed out of it.

1.0.0. Western hognose (Baldrick)
0.1.0. Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)
R.I.P. Bob (Western hognose)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000