The Hognose Snake Forum
The Hognose Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Hognose Snake Posts
 Hognose Snake - General Keeping Information
 Ceramic bulb for Madagascan species?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Paulusworm Posted - 01/09/2009 : 11:34:20
As the title says. Would a ceramic heat-lamp be better than a heatmat for Madagascan species?
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Bigdave Posted - 22/09/2009 : 19:06:08
quote:
Have you tried a sand/soil/orchid bark mix Dave? I use a similar thing for my monitor and it holds a burrow quite nicely.

never heard of a mix like that but always willing to try, thats what I like about forums always learning.
I may be wrong but I dont think that the blondes are cites
some of the boids from Madagascar and several lizards are though and things do get added to it
Paulusworm Posted - 21/09/2009 : 19:55:44
quote:
Originally posted by Bigdave

as a further note although the blonds are quite a slender snake I had read on Hognose.com about them doing better when the can burrow. So I have used quite a thick bed of aspen.........

Have you tried a sand/soil/orchid bark mix Dave? I use a similar thing for my monitor and it holds a burrow quite nicely.
Paulusworm Posted - 21/09/2009 : 19:38:50
quote:
Originally posted by Gingerpony

are the hoggies not covered by CITES appendix 1 like the Dumerils are?

Not sure yet. That's on my "to do" list. The bosc viv build is taking up most of my free time at the moment .
Gingerpony Posted - 14/09/2009 : 20:46:52
are the hoggies not covered by CITES appendix 1 like the Dumerils are?
Paulusworm Posted - 14/09/2009 : 09:17:38
Yep. Not got them yet but I do have a few people making enquiries about importing them for me. It is all very much in the planning stages at the moment but I hope to be able to get some cb specimens onto the uk market and then, hopefully, the wild ones will be able to stay in Madagascar where they belong. Getting the money together to get things started is the main problem at the moment .
Bigdave Posted - 11/09/2009 : 14:06:19
quote:
I don't think he's actually found one yet- he's on the look out though

dooh me being dumb
as a further note although the blonds are quite a slender snake I had read on Hognose.com about them doing better when the can burrow. So I have used quite a thick bed of aspen and I rarely see him, hes either burrowing or I also keep a box of moist moss in permenently and hes often in there.

I would worry about a heat mat in this set up as there would be a potential for thermal blocking leading to a fire hazard ie heat could not dissipate and theoretically could heat the aspen to ignition point. Also as he burrows so much would there be a potential for contact burns ?
I suspect the ceramic is the safer option on all fronts
Kazerella Posted - 10/09/2009 : 18:44:25
I don't think he's actually found one yet- he's on the look out though
Bigdave Posted - 09/09/2009 : 23:00:57
using a ceramic for my blonde and he seems to have settled in fine.
Where did you manage to find a female from, Ive seen a few males but females are like the proverbial rocking horse pooh
Kazerella Posted - 07/09/2009 : 16:28:06
A ceramic should be fine. I think they heat vivs better anyway. Would love to afford one for every viv I've got
Paulusworm Posted - 02/09/2009 : 08:40:32
It's a way off yet but I should be able to sort something out for you Ali .
Gingerpony Posted - 01/09/2009 : 22:35:12
really?? can i buy one at mates rates if you do
Paulusworm Posted - 01/09/2009 : 21:18:17
quote:
Originally posted by Gingerpony

depends which Madagascan species you're on about....... the giant hoggies then yes, as they are heavier-bodied

I'm looking at breeding from a pair of wc blondes.
Gingerpony Posted - 01/09/2009 : 20:57:44
depends which Madagascan species you're on about....... the giant hoggies then yes, as they are heavier-bodied

The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000