New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Louise
Egg

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2011 :  17:04:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As you probably all know, Hufflepuff will not eat. He hasn't eaten since I brought him home on the 29th of March. He was due feeding then so has not fed now for 5 weeks. I know that isn't much but I have just weighed him and he has lost 4g in 3 weeks.

Should I worry?

Mandie
Hatchling Hoggie

185 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2011 :  23:03:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would be concerned tbh, how much does he weigh, what age, temps, what have you tried when offering food?
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
Hognose Admin

260 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  01:36:08  Show Profile  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It also depends on the size of the snake.
A good sized poo has a few grams weight in it, so a bit more info about the snake would be helpful really, otherwise we don't know if you're talking about a 20 inch 400g snake or a 10 inch 15g snake.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon
SOME OF MY ANIMALS

Go to Top of Page

Louise
Egg

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  13:15:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oops, sorry, he is now 80g, was 84g although I will weigh him today. He is coming up for 1 year old.

He hasn't fed in 6 weeks now and as far as I can tell he has only done one tiny poo (understandable if he hasn't eaten)

Temps are around 30-32 at the warm end. He is not very active now and spends most of his time in the aspen :(

Have tried lots of different types of food, rat pups, mice fuzzies, small mice, fresh killed mice, left overnight, brained etc etc. The breeder said he usually eats anything and everything offered.

I did contact her and she said he was housed next to older female hoggies so may well have got the horn!

Just want to know whether I should start to worry. I am am worrier you see!!
Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2011 :  09:22:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
4g represented 5% of his total body weight, so it's not too drastic yet, but if he does lose any more weight, it might be time to take action. You have quite a few snakes so I was just wondering if you had any experience in force-feeding? It is stressful for them, but it might be a good idea to look into it if the situation doesn't improve.

1.0.0. Western hognose (Baldrick)
0.1.0. Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)
R.I.P. Bob (Western hognose)
Go to Top of Page

Louise
Egg

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2011 :  11:37:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He ate! wooooooooooooooooo!

He just ate a fresh kill fuzzy. After a few mins of frantically trying to escape the feeding tub, he turned around, grabbed the fuzzy and gobbled it up (backwards!) and it was gone in a matter of seconds!

I'm so pleased. Fingers crossed that's it now and he will keep eating.

Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2011 :  13:28:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
YAY!!! Such a relief when they finally give in... is that the first time he's fed for you?

1.0.0. Western hognose (Baldrick)
0.1.0. Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)
R.I.P. Bob (Western hognose)
Go to Top of Page

Louise
Egg

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2011 :  16:45:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup, and was really nice to see a hoggie eating! Never seen it before.

I will keep him on fuzzies for the next few feeds so hopefully he will keep taking them then I can move him up to small mice which is what he should be on.

I'm so happy :D
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000