Thoughts on sandboxes?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MrsA82
Hatchling Hoggie

144 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2011 :  15:40:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ive been looking at others setups for hoggies and see some people have a small box of sand in there for them to bury onto?

I like the idea of that is it safe to do? She would never be fed anywhere near it, but would there still be a chance if impacting?

1.1 Extreme Red Albino Hognose
0.1.0 normal 100% het orange albino hognose
0.1.0 Normal hognose
3.5 Royal Python
0.1.0 Cornsnake

Kehhlyr
Hognose Admin

260 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  00:06:40  Show Profile  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Technically is she's not fed near it, then it she shouldn't swallow any to risk an impaction.
You can tell with the scales on a hoggie that they are more built for a sand/soil habitat due to how coarse they are, I've heard of people using a crushed shell/sand mix as well with success.
I believe there is someone on this forum that uses that as a substrate as well.

I've not tried myself, mine are on Aubiose which seems to keep them happy.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon
SOME OF MY ANIMALS

Go to Top of Page

MrsA82
Hatchling Hoggie

144 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  07:30:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I use auboise too she quite often has a good rummage through there. I saw that pic of the substrate. Believe it was a mix of coral sand and beech chips. Where would you get something like that?

0.1.0 Normal hognose
3.5 Royal Python
0.1.0 Cornsnake
Go to Top of Page

Sika
Hatchling Hoggie

105 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  15:07:07  Show Profile  Click to see Sika's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've got a small box of pebbles in Vitus' he enjoys that very much.
Last time I was at the beach I brought home some rough beach sand that was very polished my the sea, so no sharp edges...
Once gave him dessert sand from the pet store but found that to be too much like flour and al powdery... But all in all he loves the gravel....
Look at the green box.... and not dusty at all....

0.1 Corn snake - Motley Sunglow (Aia)
1.0 Hognose - normal (Vitus/Basse)
Go to Top of Page

MrsA82
Hatchling Hoggie

144 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  17:21:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So that's just gravel from the beach?? Could you use aquarium gravel or do you think it would be too sharp? I love the way he's posing in that picture lol

0.1.0 Normal hognose
3.5 Royal Python
0.1.0 Cornsnake
Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2011 :  09:14:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I might be showing my ignorance here, but what's aubiose?
I use a type of shredded paper substrate for my hoggy - he seems to like it because he can burrow in it, and anyway it's all I can get in my local pet shop. But I'd like to try alternatives if there's something better.

1.0.0. Western hognose (Baldrick)
0.1.0. Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)
R.I.P. Bob (Western hognose)
Go to Top of Page

Sika
Hatchling Hoggie

105 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2011 :  09:25:35  Show Profile  Click to see Sika's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think Vitus likes the gravel cause it's heavier than aspen and wood chips etc. there's more challenge in it.
I tried aquarium gravel but couldn't fine anything light enough... and it's so much cheaper just to take home a handful instead of buying it in bags...
And the good thing about taking it from the beach is that it's very rinsed out and not dirty at all so easy to just wash and put in the cage, it's free and it's so soft and polished.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
Hognose Admin

260 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2011 :  11:07:30  Show Profile  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've never actually thought of trying a small dish of gravel or anything in mine, although I have a feeling my female may have been trained by a kingsnake as she can and does regularly trash her rub.

quote:
Originally posted by LouiseB

I might be showing my ignorance here, but what's aubiose?.........

Aubiose is a horse bedding. It's very similar to Aspen bedding, a bit rougher though, and usually around the 8 or 9 quid for 25kg mark.
Much better for multiple snakes.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon
SOME OF MY ANIMALS

Go to Top of Page

MrsA82
Hatchling Hoggie

144 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2011 :  12:18:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I heard about aboise on TCS and tracked it down so much cheaper for 8 snakes

Think I will definitely forriage some gravel for my little hoggie.... Well when I can get to the beach!!

0.1.0 Normal hognose
3.5 Royal Python
0.1.0 Cornsnake
Go to Top of Page

Sika
Hatchling Hoggie

105 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2011 :  14:02:46  Show Profile  Click to see Sika's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrsA82

Yes I heard about aboise on TCS and tracked it down so much cheaper for 8 snakes

Think I will definitely forriage some gravel for my little hoggie.... Well when I can get to the beach!!

Get some stones too! They love to climb and explore! Every thing new is a treat and when you can just pick it up for free then why not

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000