Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

MrsA82
Hatchling Hoggie

144 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  13:23:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Peppa is still refusing to eat after 5 weeks. Thought she would be back on track after her shed which she done this morning. She's not eaten since the day after I got her. She is currently attempting to escape a small faun containing just her and a brained fuzzy but nothing yet!

I've tried scenting with tuna, feeding in her viv, feeding on a tub, leaving overnight in her viv. Just don't know what else to try. All she does is huff and puff the odd headbutt too. I'm only offering once a week at moment. She put on a few g's after the one and only feed but lost them so back her starting weight of 58g

Any other ideas anyone?

1.1 Extreme Red Albino Hognose
0.1.0 normal 100% het orange albino hognose
0.1.0 Normal hognose
3.5 Royal Python
0.1.0 Cornsnake

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  14:30:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You've probably done everything that I would have tried - the only other solution is persistence and continuing to offer food on a regular basis. I know it's not very helpful advice, but sometimes they will just refuse to eat for no good reason that you can see, and then they start eating again just as mysteriously. None of the tricks have ever worked on my hoggy, he just eats when he feels like it, and if he doesn't, nothing will persuade him otherwise!
I notice that you have royal pythons, which I've heard can be quite difficult feeders. Do you have any tricks that you try on them which you might be able to try with your hoggy?

1.0.0. Western hognose (Baldrick)
0.1.0. Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)
R.I.P. Bob (Western hognose)
Go to Top of Page

MrsA82
Hatchling Hoggie

144 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  15:28:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nope- 3 of them are fantastic feeders lol the other one we have recently discovered wasn't supposed to be sold as wasn't an established feeder. Tried the same tricks with him but didn't work then last week he took a small mouse. I'm guessing she's just being a stubborn madam. I will continue as I am then. Give her a few more goes. I've now decided to feed her on corn feeding day so not to waste the fuzzy lol! She's not losing weight or anything

0.1.0 Normal hognose
3.5 Royal Python
0.1.0 Cornsnake
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Hatchling Hoggie

United Kingdom
157 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  16:11:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm no expert as I'v only just got mine but my two only eat their mice scented with salmon. The previous owner tried tuna and it didnt work but salmon seems to. I haven't tried feeding yet as I only got them on Sunday but salmon scenting will be my first attempt.

1.1.0 Hognose - Mr Hoggie, Miss Piggy
5.4.0 Corns - Swayze (ghost) Izzy (normal) Alice (amel) Peanut (butter motley) Noisy (lavender) Palace (amel) Lizzy (Normal) Connie (normal) Carmellia (butter motley)
0.1.0 cat - kizzy
1.0.0 Foster Dog - Paddy

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

MrsA82
Hatchling Hoggie

144 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  16:28:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Worth a shot isn't it!, thanks for that that will be next weeks attempt then salmon scented mouse mmmmm lol! Hope the corns don't mind salmon lol

0.1.0 Normal hognose
3.5 Royal Python
0.1.0 Cornsnake
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Hatchling Hoggie

United Kingdom
157 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  23:32:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let me know how you get on. My cat is going to love me now. I don't like tinned fish so she is going to be getting a special treat every week lol

1.1.0 Hognose - Mr Hoggie, Miss Piggy
5.4.0 Corns - Swayze (ghost) Izzy (normal) Alice (amel) Peanut (butter motley) Noisy (lavender) Palace (amel) Lizzy (Normal) Connie (normal) Carmellia (butter motley)
0.1.0 cat - kizzy
1.0.0 Foster Dog - Paddy

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2011 :  09:49:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My corn is always happy to try new things - she doesn't seem to care what her prey smells like as long as it's food. I only wish I could get her to have a word with my hoggy sometimes about the importance of a regular diet...

Go to Top of Page

Louise
Egg

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2011 :  12:11:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just tried feeding mine today and he didn't want to know! Shame too as I was told he is a very good eater and will eat anything offered.

Will try him again next week when he's good and hungry!
Go to Top of Page

monty
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2011 :  12:35:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
with fussy hatchlings,i either leave the pinkie in there hide over night, or in worse cases i use pre killed, and then followed with frozen thawed, then a cut out the pre killed. i know this is only handy if you breed your own mice tho. hope it helps
Go to Top of Page

MrsA82
Hatchling Hoggie

144 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2011 :  14:34:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do breed mice so is an option but not yet. Hopefully she will start of her own accord again soon. Mine was supposed to be a god ater too. Took 2 fuzzies every week.

Do you think I should leave off handling. It's been minimal anyway just moving her to tub for feeding etc. But don't know if it's ok to have her out a bit more often?

0.1.0 Normal hognose
3.5 Royal Python
0.1.0 Cornsnake
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
Hognose Admin

United Kingdom
746 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2011 :  15:29:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Handling is exercise so it might help build an apettite

Have you tried feeding Peppa in the dark. Some snakes are just shy when it comes to eating and will only do it in the dark in complete silence.

Go to Top of Page

MrsA82
Hatchling Hoggie

144 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2011 :  17:07:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No I always try during the day when she's active. But I will try at night next week thanks for the suggestion worth a shot :)

0.1.0 Normal hognose
3.5 Royal Python
0.1.0 Cornsnake
Go to Top of Page

marcel
Snake Mite

Netherlands
5 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2011 :  11:15:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My female hog has eaten for the first time in 9 weeks.
I caught a small toad and put it in the freeze (-18) for 4 days. Then I left it out of the freezer for 1,5 hrs and scent a boiled pinky with it. Gave it and she eat it. She didn't get him right away but i agitatet her with the pinky and she got it!
Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2011 :  16:06:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only problem with the toad approach is that toads are protected by UK law so you can't kill one for scenting purposes! I don't know where MrsA82 lives so this might not be an issue.
I have heard that you can use frogs' legs if you can get hold of them - some delis sell them although not out in the sticks where I live...

Go to Top of Page

MrsA82
Hatchling Hoggie

144 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2011 :  17:49:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im in a town, never even see a toad lol!! Hoping I won't have to go down scenting route other than tinned fish!! Can't imagine there is anywhere that sells frog legs here either though. As long as she's not losing loadsa weight how long can she go without eating before I MUST do something?

0.1.0 Normal hognose
3.5 Royal Python
0.1.0 Cornsnake
Go to Top of Page

steve86m133123
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2011 :  20:06:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my hognose has stopped eating. 3rd week running, time of year have anything to do with it?

sclements
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000