Strange smell
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MrsA82
Hatchling Hoggie

144 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2011 :  10:44:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was just changing over peppas water a andd she's got a hissy on again today. When I put the clean back in I noticed a strong smell almost like a urine smell. I got her out (much to her delight) and it was her

I've just finished cleaning her out as that was the bedding she came in thought it might be really grubby under all the bedding but it was ok so it's all cleaned and disinfected. Went I went to put her back from the rub she was in she still absolutely stunk not forget hissing to boot

Now I've been researching and read when they play dead they give off a musk that smells like rotting so I'm wondering if she's was giving that smell off to put me off, even though she wasn't playing dead. It didn't smell rotting but wasn't pleasant. Not unlike one of those people you get stuck next to in a queue

Any thoughts guys? Just hoping there isn't something wrong, just seems a very odd smell for a snake!!
Any thoughts

1.1 Extreme Red Albino Hognose
0.1.0 normal 100% het orange albino hognose
0.1.0 Normal hognose
3.5 Royal Python
0.1.0 Cornsnake

Kehhlyr
Hognose Admin

260 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2011 :  13:31:37  Show Profile  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Does sound like it was a stink bomb that was dropped, mine have done it once when I first went to see it, hard to describe the smell but was very strong 'old church' sort of smell.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon
SOME OF MY ANIMALS

Go to Top of Page

MrsA82
Hatchling Hoggie

144 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2011 :  14:13:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah just old Smell, she was breaking out of her viv just now so took opportunity for a whiff but nothing now. How very odd lol!!

1.1 Extreme Red Albino Hognose
0.1.0 normal 100% het orange albino hognose
0.1.0 Normal hognose
3.5 Royal Python
0.1.0 Cornsnake
Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2011 :  09:16:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, sounds like you got a whiff of the old "playing dead" smell! You'll find that captive-bred hoggies very rarely go so far as to play dead, but they might still do the smell that goes with it. It's really horrible but it's just another of those things that they grow out of with regular handling.
When my hoggy did it, it was very much like the smell of a maggot farm I once had th emisfortune to visit

1.0.0. Western hognose (Baldrick)
0.1.0. Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)
R.I.P. Bob (Western hognose)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000