Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LaurenceG
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2008 :  12:22:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

My name is Laurence Goosey. I am currently working with Wolfgang Wόster on my third year dissertation project at Bangor University. I have designed and created a survey intended to expand our breadth of knowledge of snakes as a community.

Colubrids are very popular reptiles as pets (I keep several myself). Due to this, bites occur frequently within the herpetoculture community. Recent research indicates that most genera of colubrids are technically venomous. However, it has yet to be investigated to what effect colubrid bites generally have on humans. Occasionally random bite reports surface where nasty symptoms were recorded, but this is most likely NOT the case with the vast majority of bites. My survey on this topic hopes to expose the extent to which colubrids are of medical importance to us as herpetoculturists.

For this I need your help.

I would ask that anyone who has received a bite from any colubrid (with the exception of North American Rat Snakes and King Snakes – which have evolved to lose their venom) to click on the link to this survey and take a few moments to fill it out for the bites you have received.

I will post the principal conclusions online for the herpetoculture community to access once I have finished my Hons Thesis around April/May.

Your help is much appreciated.

Cheers,

Laurence

LINK:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=GngJyk_2fmsvMIqRjeTGWFaQ_3d_3d

Kazerella
Hognose Admin

United Kingdom
746 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2008 :  13:59:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would've, but (touchwood) I've not been bit by any other columbrid except a king. Hope you get some good answers from the unlucky ones though

Go to Top of Page

Technobimbo
Hatchling Hoggie

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2008 :  21:56:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Me neither.... yet.... although there is still plenty of time

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
Hognose Admin

United Kingdom
746 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2008 :  18:02:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wilbur went for me the other day- but the Rainbow Boa did the same day too.

Remind me not to wear that perfume again

Go to Top of Page

Technobimbo
Hatchling Hoggie

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2008 :  20:26:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol... what was it... may save a few of us some pain!

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
Hognose Admin

United Kingdom
746 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2008 :  16:23:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well it wasn't perfume I don't think- we put it down to either the flashing red lights of the christmas tree confusing them or the strong smell of the alcohol in my Wild Berry hand sanitizer, which I used just before I handled both of them.

Could be the alcohol, because when Nagini bit me I have to admit I had had a few. Maybe they can smell it a lot more strongly than we can and it scares them with it's potency.

Who knows? We should have a debate!

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Wanna be 'Hero of Hogness'

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2008 :  17:49:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was a thread on TCS that discussed a snakes ability to know when youve had a drink. I think its proven they dislike alcohol.

Go to Top of Page

Technobimbo
Hatchling Hoggie

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2008 :  23:29:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In that case I had better put a sticky note on me viv's to remind me to handle them in the mornings over christmas...

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
Hognose Admin

United Kingdom
746 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2008 :  10:42:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I dislike alcohol or I'm allergic or something..

because everytime I drink loads of it I feel sick, then have a monster hangover in the mornings.

Go to Top of Page

magneticblue
Hognose Moderator

189 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2008 :  17:07:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

I think I dislike alcohol or I'm allergic or something..

because everytime I drink loads of it I feel sick, then have a monster hangover in the mornings.

Strange that, the exact same thing happens to me

1.2.0 Guyana red-tail boas (Hercules, Athena and Aphrodite)
1.0.0 Arizona Mountain Kingsnake (Sylar)
0.1.0 Blotched Kingsnake (Jasmin)
0.3.0 Cats (Lynx, Maizzi and Millie)
Go to Top of Page

LaurenceG
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2009 :  14:40:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Medical Importance of Venomous Colubrids: Comparative Study of Colubrid and Viperid Bite Experiences

(Apologies for the delay in posting these conclusions)

Principal Conclusions:
• Most people underestimate the bite of colubrids, and many were caught unawares by medically important bites.
• The average colubrid bite is fairly insignificant in comparison to that of the average viperid bite (based on bites from Agkistrodon contortrix, Vipera ammodytes, V. aspis and V. berus).

The following genera and their medical importance are based on evidence shown within this study:

• Genera reported to have inflicted medically important bites are: Boiga, Chrysopelea, Dispholidus, Heterodon, Macropisthodon, Nerodia (potentially at least from some populations), Psammophis and Rhabdophis.
Bites were received from these genera that surpassed the average viperid bite severity.
Herpetologists/herpetoculturists would do well to use caution when dealing with species of the aforementioned genera. Suitable precautions could consist of as little as covering exposed skin, e.g. long sleeves and gardening gloves (t-shirts, shorts and sandals do not offer the best protection).

• Genera that also stand out as being of potential medical importance, but from which bites were NOT received that surpassed the average viperid bite severity, are: Crotaphopeltis, Hydrodynastes, Ialtris, Oxybelis, Philodryas and Thamnodynastes.
Bites were received from these genera that clearly caused significant symptoms but did not surpass the average viperid bite severity.

• Genera reported to have inflicted mild envenoming of mostly trivial medical importance, but stood out from the bulk of trivial colubrid genera, are: Ahaetulla, Coluber, Coronella, Leioheterodon, Leptophis, Liophis, Malpolon, Orthriophis, Rhadinophis and Thamnophis.
Bites were received from these genera that did not cause major symptoms, but stood out from the bulk of trivial colubrid genera, being of slight medical importance.

• Genera reported to inflict mild envenoming of no real medical importance are: Amphiesma, Coniophanes, Elaphe, Gonyosoma, Helicops, Hemorrhois, Hypsiglena, Lamprophis, Leptodeira, Masticophis, Orthriophis, Philothamnus, Platyceps, Psammophylax, Spilotes, Telescopus, Trimorphodon and Zamenis.
Bites that were received from these genera showed only trivial symptoms (very mild swelling, redness, itching, etc). It seems likely that many of these genera lack the venom quantity, venom delivery and/or venom potency to cause medically significant bites. Despite this, significant caution would be well advised, particularly around aggressive, large snakes of these genera. Covering exposed skin would likely be adequate protection.

• Genera from which bites, but no envenomations, were received are: Cerberus, Chironius, Coelognathus, Conophis, Diadophis, Dipsadoboa, Dolichophis, Drymarchon, Enhydris, Hierophis, Liochlorophis, Lycodon, Mastigodryas, Natrix, Pseudaspis, Pseustes, Spalerosophis, Stegonotus, Storeria, Thrasops, Tomodon, Waglerophis and Xenochrophis.
Bites from these genera did not show any reliable signs of envenomation.

These findings are from direct analysis of the responses received to the survey only.

Special thanks go to everyone who took part and in the survey and answered any questions I had.

Several months are still left on the survey subscription. In the interest of collecting as much data as possible I would urge anyone who has not filled in the survey, or has received further bites since filling it in, to enter their data into the survey. Further data will allow a full analysis of the results to be conducted again on a larger scale. Any extra results will not be included in my dissertation (which has already been completed and handed in). Extra results would still be beneficial as they would enable us to understand as much about the medical importance of venomous colubrids as possible. As with the last lot of results, principal conclusions of any new information will be posted online for all to have access to.

Link: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=GngJyk_2fmsvMIqRjeTGWFaQ_3d_3d

Thank you very much for your input and support throughout the project. I hope you find the results of this study informative and useful.

Please direct any questions or communication to: leopardgeckosarecool@hotmail.com

Happy Herping,

Laurence
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
Hognose Admin

United Kingdom
746 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2009 :  10:53:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a great document

Did you get good marks in your dissertation then?

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Hognose Moderator

United Kingdom
117 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2009 :  21:28:21  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i liked reading that but need to look up a lot of latin names..............

6.4.0 Corn snakes www.thecornsnake.co.uk
2.1.0 Dumerils boas
0.1.0 Argentine x BCI err... www.therainbowboa.co.uk
www.theroyalpython.co.uk
www.thekingsnake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000