New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

levi
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2010 :  19:41:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi im nre to the snake seen, iv just brought a hog nose and i love it. But i just wondered how often they grow.

Oh yeh sorry another thing i have a 3 foot tank and my snake is about 20 cm long. I have a rub inside the tank but just woundered if the 3 foot tank is to big

Kehhlyr
Hognose Admin

260 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  03:45:15  Show Profile  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
3 foot will probably be way to big for it at the moment, probably be a fair while before it's ready to go into that, if at all.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon
SOME OF MY ANIMALS

Go to Top of Page

crazysnakeman
Snake Mite

18 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2010 :  01:50:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Youd be best off with maybe a corn or male royal in a 3ft viv.. maybe an eastern hoggy or large female westy.. However, a lot of people argue that if you have enough hides, I.e, one on each side of the thermal gradient, one by the water bowl, and another somewhere where it will fit, in that size tank, you should be ok. Feeding issues is the biggest problem, snakes generally are agoraphobic (scared of large spaces).

If you want that size viv, put in atleast 4 hides, making sure one of those is near the water bowl - so its not scared to venture out to drink. Its reverse psycology, the more hiding places an animal has, the less it hides cos it feels safe cos it knows it can hide if needs be! if they have one hide, they dont like leaving it!

as for the growing. You may get feeding problems in such a large viv as they only eat if they feel secure. the more you feed, the more they grow. one fuzzy mouse a week should be adequate, but if its not quite big enough to handle it, feed two pinkies. be careful not to power feed - they reach full size in a very short amount of time, but rarely do snakes live more then 4 years if they are powerfed, vet bills go thru the roof trying to sort them out. If you feed weekly at an apropriate size, yours will be fully grown soon enough!

Youl find it hard to get growth charts, I can tell you it took my hoggy 19 weeks to go from 30 grams to 60 grams, thats the best estimate i can give, but as a neonate he was putting on maybe a gram a week. on the flip side, my boa puts on 100 grams a week minimum.. ha ha, weight is a better measure then length, have a look on ebay for some, it lets you know that they are growing, and if they stop eating, you can tell if theyre losing weight!

Welcome to the world of snakes! remember, now that you have one, youl get more, and now that you are in the snake world, the timers ticking till you get bit ;) its not a matter of if, its a matter of when! ha ha, good luck mate, youl enjoy having it more then you expect

Josh
Go to Top of Page

Alex Earl
Snake Mite

19 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2010 :  20:32:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
on the subject of tank size, would a tank this size be fine (L-14inches, H-15inches, W-15inches) ? the reason the measurements are like this is because i am going to be splitting a tank in half (normally it would be 28 inches in length but i want to house 2 small snakes in it to save space in my flat).
Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2010 :  11:15:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How small are these small snakes?? I think the measurements you give would be fine for young snakes, i.e. hoggies up to a year old, but they might be a bit small for anything much older.

1.0.0. Western hognose (Baldrick)
0.1.0. Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)
R.I.P. Bob (Western hognose)
Go to Top of Page

Alex Earl
Snake Mite

19 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2010 :  11:58:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have a corn snake that i took to the vet and he believes it has a genetic problem that is not letting it grow (it eats fine and has perfect body mass for its size but has only put on 1.1gram in 5 months) and then the hognose for however long he can live in there. i only really need it for the next year till i have more room to have larger vivs
Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2010 :  12:48:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably be OK, in that case. I have the same problem in that I really want to get more snakes but I don't have the room for them. I have been seriously considering using a viv as a TV stand...

1.0.0. Western hognose (Baldrick)
0.1.0. Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)
R.I.P. Bob (Western hognose)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000