I was bitten by my western hognose last night
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vitriolblue
Snake Mite

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2010 :  20:06:43  Show Profile  Send vitriolblue a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi all! I'm new to the forum. I regret that my first post has to be about an accident that happened with my Isabella but I need some help and advice. I went to feed her last night, two pinkie rats, and she had a really strong feeding response. When she struck she missed the rat and got ahold of my lower right index finger and started chewing away. She was attached for about one minute before I got her to let go. Immediately blood was pouring out of the wound. She definitely got her rear fangs into me. I was able to stop the bleeding by applying pressure. Minutes later the pain set in and swelling began. I quickly ran to get a bowl of hot water to soak my hand in to disperse the venom. I called the poison control center and they advised me to go to the hospital so I went to the emergency room. All they were able to do for me was give me pain medication. Today, I am really suffering. There are many different sensations I'm feeling in my hand - throbbing, tingling, numbness, shooting up my arm, and sharp, stabbing pains. I am unable to bend my finger where it meets my hand and it is still extremely swollen. I used an ice pack on it this morning and the wounds started to seep clear fluid. The pain medication is barely touching the pain and I don't know what to do. Has anyone else ever been bitten by their hoggie?Please, any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Tiffany-x
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2010 :  20:27:27  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi, I havent ever been bitten but I have seen images etc of a bite and I have read lots about it. From what I know all you should do is just take pain relief and ignore it. The swelling will go down in time, its no massive harm, the swelling is usually quite extreme but it is no harm to you unless you have serious allergy to it. Im sure it will go down in a couple of days, you just have to allow nature to take its course Im afraid. :/
Tiffany-x
Go to Top of Page

vitriolblue
Snake Mite

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2010 :  21:20:03  Show Profile  Send vitriolblue a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Tiffany, that's what I was afraid of. It even hurts to hold a pen a try to write so I gave up on that. Do you know what kind of venom they have? I know it has anticoagulants properties to it, but is it really more like bee venom? I don't think I have an allergy.. didn't have any respiratory complications at all which I'm grateful for, but damn, this thing really hurts!
Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Snake Mite

49 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2010 :  21:48:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i would use feeding tongues in the future if i was you!

I would highly advise you take anti histamine. This should help along with the pain killers.

Sul.

1.1.1 Corns Geoff (Ghost), Rusty (Carolina), Fred (Amel)
1.1.0 Western Hognose - Percy and Pixie
0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Heidi
1.1.0 Kings - Pete (Desert) + Mamba (cali) Location : Warrington, Cheshire www.myspace.com/deccade
Go to Top of Page

vitriolblue
Snake Mite

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2010 :  21:57:16  Show Profile  Send vitriolblue a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I am definitely investing in a pair of those, lol! I do have some antihistamines. I will try some of those along with the pain meds. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

vitriolblue
Snake Mite

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2010 :  00:36:10  Show Profile  Send vitriolblue a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The finger looks a LOT better today and the pain has subsided. I took some hydroxyzine on top of the pain meds and it really helped. Just slightly puffy and a little tender but no where like it was. I think it's on the mend!
Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2010 :  10:48:19  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah it will usually take just a bit of time, I think it just needs time. Im glad that it is getting better, antihistamines are designed for allergies more than bites or stings etc but it may ever so slightly take it down. :)
Tiffany-x
Go to Top of Page

Chromisca
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2010 :  11:05:29  Show Profile  Click to see Chromisca's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Keep it clean, and make sure it doesn't get infected. I would think an anti-inflammatory might help a bit with the swelling too.

Just a quick question if you don't mind me asking, I just got my first hog, and my husband's concern with me getting bitten (if ever) is my allergy history. What's your history with allergies? Mine are cats, mold, dust and pollen (for the big ones). But I do have a family member allergic to wasp stings. Just curious... let me know if I'm out of line

Glad to hear the swelling's going down and it's becoming less painful!

Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Snake Mite

49 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2010 :  11:09:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent...i should be a Doctor!

1.1.0 Kings - Pete (Desert) + Mamba (cali) Location : Warrington, Cheshire www.myspace.com/deccade
Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2010 :  14:53:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you can bear to look, Sullysteve has posted some picture on the general keeping info forum which show a really bad reaction to a hoggy bite. I don't know if yours was as bad as that, but your post and that one have both made me think twice about feeding my hoggy without using tongs!

1.0.0. Western hognose (Baldrick)
0.1.0. Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)
R.I.P. Bob (Western hognose)
Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Snake Mite

49 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2010 :  20:10:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LouiseB

If you can bear to look, Sullysteve has posted some picture on the general keeping info forum which show a really bad reaction to a hoggy bite. I don't know if yours was as bad as that, but your post and that one have both made me think twice about feeding my hoggy without using tongs!

PMSL!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000