New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nikola
Snake Mite

1 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2010 :  14:31:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I have 1.1 Heterodon Nasicus Nasicus. They are fine, male is feeding like a monster and he never turn down a meal. They are 07/2009 and now they are about 35g. They are with us from 12/2009 when he was about 11 g.

Female on the other hand is more picky eater. At first she won't eat pinky mice, then i rubber pinky with chicken and she eat... a few times did this work, but then she decide that she won't eat. I rubber pinky to turkey and yes she ate... after a few meals she again refuse scenting with turkey and chicken... so this time i try fish, and yes she ate... few times and then agin nothin (chicken, turkey, fish) so i did buy frog leggs and she ate :) but not for long, this is going on for a year now and i'm a little bit mad about this situation. A few times she did eat pinkys withous scentin but now not. I try to keep her alone and not feed for a 3 weeks and then i introduce pinky mice... nothing happens. What should i do?

I'm not a begginer with reptiles, me and my wife keep various reptiles: chlamydosaurus kingii, chameleons, varanus, blood pythons, dumeril boas, GTP's, BRB's, ball pythons and much more.

I'm in love with this snakes, they are perfect... but man i'm so mad about this feeding issues

Sorry on bad english ;)

PS: I tried with a different types of pinkys (rats, gerbils, hamsters and mice).

sullysteve
Snake Mite

49 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2010 :  17:31:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have the same issues and i too would like an answer....

1.1.1 Corns Geoff (Ghost), Rusty (Carolina), Fred (Amel)
1.1.0 Western Hognose - Percy and Pixie
0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Heidi
1.1.0 Kings - Pete (Desert) + Mamba (cali) Location : Warrington, Cheshire www.myspace.com/deccade
Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2010 :  09:31:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A lot of people have problems with hoggies that won't eat, but it's usually the males that cause trouble, not females!
The best thing to do is to make sure there are no underlying health issues, such as internal or external parasites, shedding problems, etc. Does she go off her food at particular times, or is it more random? Are the temperatures in the viv OK? Is she sharing a viv with the male or is she kept on her own?
I would say that as long as she hasn't lost weight or condition, you don't need to worry about it. Hoggies do tend not to be as regular feeders as other types of snake, and it's not usually a problem as long as their health is OK in other respects. Hope this makes sense!

1.0.0. Western hognose (Baldrick)
0.1.0. Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)
R.I.P. Bob (Western hognose)
Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Snake Mite

49 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2010 :  14:30:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mine shares with a male....

1.1.0 Kings - Pete (Desert) + Mamba (cali) Location : Warrington, Cheshire www.myspace.com/deccade
Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2010 :  11:09:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are issues with co-habitation which really seem to divide the snake-keeping community down the middle. I would personally say it isn't a good idea, but plenty of other people would disagree with me...

Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Snake Mite

49 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2010 :  12:24:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tell me about it.....been there done that got the ,,,,so on ... with TCS Forum. But hey ho....some do and some dont.

anyways lol...

Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2010 :  15:23:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I've read that thread... let's not start the debate here!

Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Snake Mite

49 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2010 :  15:37:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What thread, What debate....erm What lol!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000