New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aedgirl
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  19:58:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi every one - sorry not sure if this is correct place or not.
We started our hoggie collect just over a year ago - we were sold a male and female. Well the long and short of it is we have two boys. Ah well - still got two great little hogs. We are really interested in getting a female but finding it difficult to find a little girl. We went to Doncaster and wish we had picked up a little girl . The local rep shop is keeping a eye out for us but does any one else have any suggestions where we might be able to find a girl?
We live approx 30mins from Chester, uk.
Does any one have any experiance with buying online - only concerne as feel its important to see where the rep has lived and to handle it ect
Thanks again

crazysnakeman
Snake Mite

18 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2010 :  00:29:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Theres a shop in chester called contact pets - i dont know if you got your guys from here, but they usually probe all their snakes before selling.. however, a guy their called tom breed hoggies - they also sell them in shop at about 75, i got mine off tom for 40. he may have a female, he may not.. im from devon, but go to uni in chester - havnt had to go to the shop for a few months so i dont know what his situation is! have a look on google for their website, phone them up, ask for tom, if he is there, great, talk to him, but if hes not, ask when hes in - the shop doesnt like him selling his own through the shop, but as im recommending him for the hoggie over the shop, i think its fair! but it will still make it easier for him if the shop owner doesnt know! but if he doesnt have any, the shop might be able to get one in for - it will just cost more.. however, they might consider a swap, ive never asked! hope this helps!

Also, i have no experience buying snakes online, but with my scorpions and amphibs, they came with a satisfaction guarentee, i.e. if i didnt like them, i could send them back for free and get a refund or another animal sent out.. just email which ever site and ask what their policy is really!

Josh
Go to Top of Page

Chromisca
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2010 :  11:41:14  Show Profile  Click to see Chromisca's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I personally wouldn't buy a snake (or any animal really) online, but that's only because I'd prefer to see the animal first, the parents if possible and meet the breeder/seller. I also tend to stay away from shops as most of them don't have a clue really (at least the ones near me here in the northwest!) and they are very overpriced.

I've had very good luck browsing classified ads however. Breeders will put up their snake, I'll message them to have a chat about how they do things if it's possible to arrange a meeting and see the snakes and the set ups.

There's a bloke in Walsall where I got my hog from that I would highly recommend (my UK geography sucks, I'm from America originally and not sure if that's close to you in Chester or not...). He only had males last time I heard, but I know he will be breeding more for the 2011 season once his snakes have come out of brumation and are ready to go. He ended up selling me a male het albino for £30, which is a fantastic price! And I knew that his snakes were all well looked after before I made the purchase, which helps for peace of mind. Absolutely no health complaints with the hog (I've had him for over a month now), although he does like to go through his RUB like a tornado occasionally... but that's hogs for you

Edited by - Chromisca on 20/12/2010 11:46:00
Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2010 :  12:54:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never had experience of buying online, but I would always want to handle any snake before I bought it to make sure it was in good health. So I probably wouldn't personally.
I also agree with Chromsica about shops - they can be very hit and miss. I'm lucky to live near a very good one, but there is also one nearby which is absolutely appalling. The best thing to do is to work on recommendations, and it looks like crazysnakeman has just given you a good one there

1.0.0. Western hognose (Baldrick)
0.1.0. Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)
R.I.P. Bob (Western hognose)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000