Injured Eastern Hognose! Please help!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

FlyedPiper
Snake Mite

6 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2010 :  05:36:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all. I'm new here and I live in Michigan, USA. My friend from work called me today and told me he found a hognose snake while mowing the lawn and invited me to come get it. It's about 8 inches long and very mild mannered and docile. The only problem is he used a golf club to hold the snake down while he got a container for it and it has a big skin tear around the middle of it's body. I don't believe there is any internal damage besides this, as the snake is alert and active but I was wondering what I should do about the wound? I read online to use hydrogen peroxide to cleanse it and an antibiotic ointment afterwards. I don't want this little amazing snake to die, I've been snake hunting my whole life and never found an eastern hognose. I have reptile/amphibian experience and have owned a western hognose in the past. ANY input would be appreciated!! Thanks, folks.

FlyedPiper
Snake Mite

6 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2010 :  07:08:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I placed him in a disinfected cage with paper towel and a water bowl and an old reptile U/V light I had laying around. The damn thing keeps flickering on and off though. I'll have to get a new bulb tomorrow. I treated him with hydrogen peroxide in his wound, and I'll get some antibiotic cream from work tomorrow as well (I work at a hospital). Unfortunately I couldn't find any of my old heating lamps though. I'm thinking a new U/V bulb tomorrow will help the heat situation (I want to add a little more heat to help him heal, but not too much).
Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2010 :  15:16:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, and welcome! I just wanted to acknowledge your post, although I don't really have any expertise in this area. It sounds like you're doing the right things, but I maybe wouldn't advise putting antibiotic cream into an open wound? I'm not sure, though. Do you have a reptile vet near you who you could phone and check with?
How is he behaving? Does he seem to be active and happy other than his injury?

1.0.0. Western hognose (Baldrick)
0.1.0. Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)
R.I.P. Bob (Western hognose)
Go to Top of Page

sexychef
Hognose Moderator

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2010 :  17:03:02  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
snakes tend not to need uv the best heat source would be a infra red, ceramic or heat mat. heat should be around 30C

1.0.0 western hognose 1.1.0 royals 2.1.0 corn snake
Go to Top of Page

FlyedPiper
Snake Mite

6 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2010 :  19:00:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, maybe I'll pick up another heat lamp.

I wasn't planning on a new pet, but I gotta do what I gotta do, LOL.

I just looked at him now (it's morning). I think I woke him up but he's alert and active, and as friendly as can be. That wound is gruesome, though. I hope he doesn't have any broken ribs or smashed organs. It's definetly going to take some time to heal in any case.
Go to Top of Page

FlyedPiper
Snake Mite

6 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2010 :  04:53:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone have any advice on how to treat the wound?
Go to Top of Page

sexychef
Hognose Moderator

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2010 :  09:28:58  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
sorry not sure what will be best for the wound. my advice would be a vet

1.0.0 western hognose 1.1.0 royals 2.1.0 corn snake
Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2010 :  10:17:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'd get him to a vet if the wound is that bad. It might need stitching up, and you want to sort it out as soon as possible to prevent any infection from setting in.

Go to Top of Page

FlyedPiper
Snake Mite

6 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2010 :  06:51:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I can't afford a vet. I CAN prevent infection though.
Go to Top of Page

FlyedPiper
Snake Mite

6 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2010 :  06:51:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess I'll just keep the wound clean, the snake warm and dry and see what happens.
Go to Top of Page

boze
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2010 :  12:48:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got any pictures?
Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2010 :  14:09:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let us know how he is - hope he starts to heal.

Go to Top of Page

Swinginuttersgrrl
Snake Mite

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2010 :  01:02:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
some additional info since it has not been mentioned, you said this is an eastern hognose and that you have kept western in the past. Since he is wild caught you may have some issues with feeding as many eastern will not recognize rodents as food and will only respond to amphibians at first, although they can be trained over to mice in time. Good luck and I hope he is doing well as it has been a while since this has been updated.
~K
Go to Top of Page

vitriolblue
Snake Mite

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2010 :  20:58:02  Show Profile  Send vitriolblue a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Please, Please, Please do not use peroxide on the wound or antibiotic ointment. These are contraindicated in reptiles. Try to get some diluted chlorhexidine. I think they have it at walmart. Trust me, I just dealt with a wound issue in one of my ball pythons. Plus I'm a vet tech so you can trust me. You can also use super glue or skin glue to close the wound (yes, I said super glue :P). You can always take it to an exotics vet in your area, but your main goal is to be able to release a healthy snake back into the wild. :)
Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2010 :  20:46:23  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I just have one thing to say, I dont know much about hoggies, but when you describe it it sounds as though you are trying to say it is friendly, if so then surely it wont be wild, cause a wild snake would surely see a person as a threat, just a little idea, and Im sorry if I got the wrong end of the stick. I hope the little thing is better soon. :)
Tiffany-x
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000