New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Geminidragon
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  21:20:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all, I am checking if anyone has hoggies together in the same viv and if so how do they get on? The reason I am asking is because I have 2 hoggies who are brother and sister and they are in a large viv seperated into 2 halves by a wooden partition. They have been living in this new viv for a couple of months quite happily but tonight the smallest of the 2 managed to squeeze through the tiniest gap and they were huddled up in the same half. I have seperated them again now (much to his dislike) as the female although the same age is a lot bigger than the male as he had a hunger strike a few months ago when I moved house and she hasn't missed a feed (even when she's shedding!). It would be great to leave them in together and remove the partition but I am unsure if this is a good idea. Any advice would be greatly received.
Cheers
Nett

boze
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  11:12:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldnt, co-habiting snakes is generally very difficult and if they are below breeding size and weight and if there is a large difference in size you could end up with the female eating the male, breeding problems and all sorts of other complications etc etc

Males are just more prone to being fussy eaters, I need to put a jumper over spidermans RUB to get him to eat just now, its the only thing thats working haha

D
Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  16:26:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd advise against it, for the cannibalism reasons boze mentions! If she is bigger than he is, and she's a particularly voracious feeder, she could have a go at eating him. It might not happen, but if it did you'd feel terrible, and it's better to be safe than sorry!

1.0.0. Western hognose (Baldrick)
0.1.0. Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)
R.I.P. Bob (Western hognose)
Go to Top of Page

Geminidragon
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2010 :  21:48:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you both so much. To be honest I did think it would be a bit dangerous for him to go in with her. They are called Marmite and Zabbie by the way. I honestly wouldn't put it past her to eat him she is generally fiesty and he is well within her food size. Thank you again, I will keep you updated. He hasn't got through again since and I've done my best to block it off.

Spiderman is an excellent name, hope he starts eating again soon. Males do seem far more fussy than females for eating, Marmite is fine again now but the move a few months ago seemed to unsettle him a bit.

Best wishes
Nett

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
Hognose Admin

260 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2010 :  21:22:33  Show Profile  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Anyone got any other view on this, be interesting to see if anyone has any experience good or bad in relation to this.
I know that generally co-habbing can be bad especially with younger snakes, but would it be the same with hoggies, who's natural prey item is 'phibbys??
Kings is obvious, their natural prey is other snakes, corns are just dopey.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon
SOME OF MY ANIMALS

Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Snake Mite

49 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2010 :  12:20:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

Anyone got any other view on this, be interesting to see if anyone has any experience good or bad in relation to this.
I know that generally co-habbing can be bad especially with younger snakes, but would it be the same with hoggies, who's natural prey item is 'phibbys??
Kings is obvious, their natural prey is other snakes, corns are just dopey.

i agree....i find it hard to belive that my 2 would eat eachother as they dont eat at the best of times!!

1.1.1 Corns Geoff (Ghost), Rusty (Carolina), Fred (Amel)
1.1.0 Western Hognose - Percy and Pixie
0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Heidi
1.1.0 Kings - Pete (Desert) + Mamba (cali) Location : Warrington, Cheshire www.myspace.com/deccade
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000