New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

crazysnakeman
Snake Mite

18 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  15:12:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heya,

So I have had my first hoggie for a year now, and it's time to move him up to his adult tank. I have been sorting this tank for the past 6 months, and I think I've finally got it where I want it.

It is a planted tank, and I know this is probably a bit controversial. I would like to explain what I have done, and then see if you guys think it will work without posing any health risks to him.

The two factors I feel are important when I designed this tank was humidity and temperature control. I set up the tank like this:

A layer of pea gravel, covered with a mesh sheet. Pesticide free compost on top. On the walls of the tank, I have lined them with coco-fibre matting. I then sank two hides into the soil - exoterra snake caves, they have a bottom, with a lid, so I sank the bottom under the soil and placed the lid on top so it is above the soil. These are filled with aspen for him to burrow in. The walls have Ficus Pumila growing up them, and the floor is covered in Soleirolia soleirolii, there is a large aluminium plant in the corner, and a fern. So all the plants are living, and need watering.

The temperature gradient is from 23 degrees on one side, to 29 on the other, Celsius. Although I can change the thermostats no problems if you guys advice me to!

The humidity stays around 20%, however the soil fluctuates between being moist, and dry. It stays moist for about 3 or 4 days, a little longer on the cool side, and it gets watered every 2 to 3 weeks. The lid has been adapted to be nearly entirely mesh, so no humidity builds up.

There is also a water bowl. I do not think the humidity or temperature are issues any longer, but would like to hear as many opinions on this as I can! But also what I'd like you to focus on is weather the moist soil for a few days every few weeks will be a problem? The idea is that the root systems will clog up the soil, and that the Soleirolia soleirolii will cover the soil so thickly that my hoggie can't get to it anyway! This is why I sank two hides and filled them with aspen - so he can still burrow. Knowing my hoggie, he'l prefer to burrow in aspen anyways.

What do you guys think? He's not in there yet, and isn't going in till i'm 100% happy. I know many snakes kept in planted enclosures, but none that are hoggies, so I'm being extra careful with this.

Cheers,
Josh

boze
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  11:24:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im not sure about the implications of having a planted tank as Ive never looked into it myself, but the temps should be a tad higher in the warm end. Im normally 31-33C (88-91F)in the warm end.

Isnt 20% a bit low for humidity? Normal room humidity is about 40-60%, are you using digital or dial thermometers/hygrometers?

Cheers

D
Go to Top of Page

crazysnakeman
Snake Mite

18 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2010 :  12:59:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I should have said, sorry! I have fans in the roof cause I was that worried! And they are digital, I'm not convinced the dial ones work.. Ok, no worries, I can boost the temps, and I think if I link a dimmer switch to the fans I can control the humidity - is there a thermostat type device I can use? If not, a dimmer switch can slow them down/speed them up/turn them off as and when!

All the plants are non toxic too, my gut says it will be ok, but I'm really going to have to watch close for RI's..

Cheers,
Josh
Go to Top of Page

boze
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2010 :  11:32:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool, you could probably ditch the fans altogether to be honest, the mesh lid will keep humidity down.

D
Go to Top of Page

crazysnakeman
Snake Mite

18 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2010 :  21:08:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they'll leave nice holes in the lid.. ha ha ha, Cool, il turn em off, see what the stat says in a few days!
Go to Top of Page

boze
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2010 :  17:57:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any joy?

D
Go to Top of Page

crazysnakeman
Snake Mite

18 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2010 :  00:14:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah, humidity is fine! I think I'm going to introduce him next week, and see how it goes!
Cheers,
Josh
Go to Top of Page

boze
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2010 :  03:05:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome! Remember to post pictures! Im really looking forward to seeing it all set up :-)

D
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000