New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chae
Snake Mite

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  18:37:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
last night, my hubby and I got home from seeing the fire works and I went to check on Roxanne and I held her for a bit, nothing out of the normal. and she wiggled about her tank for a bit after I put her back.

I went to go see how she was doing a while later, and my husband came up behind me and we must have spooked her cause she became very defensive.

she puffed up, flattened her lil' head, hissed and striked at us while she was in her cage.
so we left her alone so she wouldn't feel threatened and today I went to hold her and take her out, and she was back to her normal sweet self.

I was very startled, she has NEVER done anything like that before. I wish I had a camera in hand so I could have taken photos of it.

I know snakes sometimes snakes just get fussy, but has anyone else experienced this?

Andy_G
Egg

Canada
61 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  19:47:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All hognose do this. It's 100% bluff and it's why they're great!

Edited by - Andy_G on 04/07/2010 19:47:59
Go to Top of Page

Chae
Snake Mite

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  21:53:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
haha yea I figured I had just surprised her! it was very impressive though!!! :)

Go to Top of Page

candoia aspera
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2010 :  23:11:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chae

last night, my hubby and I got home from seeing the fire works and I went to check on Roxanne and I held her for a bit, nothing out of the normal. and she wiggled about her tank for a bit after I put her back.

I went to go see how she was doing a while later, and my husband came up behind me and we must have spooked her cause she became very defensive.

she puffed up, flattened her lil' head, hissed and striked at us while she was in her cage.
so we left her alone so she wouldn't feel threatened and today I went to hold her and take her out, and she was back to her normal sweet self.

I was very startled, she has NEVER done anything like that before. I wish I had a camera in hand so I could have taken photos of it.

I know snakes sometimes snakes just get fussy, but has anyone else experienced this?

they're the true drama queens of the snake world, i'd be disappointed if they weren't lol

Go to Top of Page

Chae
Snake Mite

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  14:39:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hahahaha yea, my hubby got a male hoggie yesterday and he is quite the hisser!

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
Hognose Admin

United Kingdom
746 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  15:24:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It might have been your husband she didn't like. Wilbur hates Lewy and ALWAYS huffs and puffs at him

Go to Top of Page

Chae
Snake Mite

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  16:33:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

It might have been your husband she didn't like. Wilbur hates Lewy and ALWAYS huffs and puffs at him

hahaha she is okay with the hubby, I think we caught her on a bad day. she hasn't been huffy and puffy since.

Go to Top of Page

candoia aspera
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2010 :  07:08:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
both of mine think that they're stream trains the way they go on. they calm down after a few minutes though, they also strike with their mouths closed, seems like a waste of energy to me but i love the floor show and i never get tired of it :-D

Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2010 :  12:00:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is quite entertaining, Baldrick does it occasionally when I wake him up unexpectedly. It's true that they can take a dislike to people too, mine hates my dad but will put up with being handled and generally mauled by absolutely anyone else!

1.0.0. Western hognose (Baldrick)
0.1.0. Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)
R.I.P. Bob (Western hognose)
Go to Top of Page

Chae
Snake Mite

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2010 :  14:25:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LouiseB

It is quite entertaining, Baldrick does it occasionally when I wake him up unexpectedly. It's true that they can take a dislike to people too, mine hates my dad but will put up with being handled and generally mauled by absolutely anyone else!

hahaha that is pretty funny.

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
Hognose Admin

United Kingdom
746 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2010 :  14:32:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think they are just good at knowing who doesn't really like them.

Lewy has never taken to Wilbur becuase he thinks he's too small to handle.

Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2010 :  14:40:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not the snake that's too small - it's his hands that are too big, obviously!

1.0.0. Western hognose (Baldrick)
0.1.0. Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)
R.I.P. Bob (Western hognose)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000