New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shelly
Egg

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2010 :  18:44:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just thught i'd say hi to all of you on here. I'm having a few problems with my hognose, Piglet, at the mo , so thought i'd join to see what advice i could find. I've read lots of intereting info so far so hopeully all will be ok. I'll post some pics up soon

sexychef
Hognose Moderator

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2010 :  16:35:51  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome to the forum

1.0.0 western hognose 1.1.0 royals 2.1.0 corn snake
Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  15:03:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, and welcome! What problems are you having with Piglet (great name, by the way)? There are some really knowledgable people on here, and I'm sure they'd be able to offer you some good advice. Is she your first hoggy?

1.0.0. Western hognose (Baldrick)
0.1.0. Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)
R.I.P. Bob (Western hognose)
Go to Top of Page

Shelly
Egg

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  20:20:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi sexychef and LouiseB, Piglet is my first hoggy and he's being a real pain. He hasn't eaten for over 3 weeks now. Hes out hunting all the time and is tasting the air constantly but whenever i try him on food he's just not interested. Piglets comng up to year old this month and has lost weight too. I'm geting really conscerned about him. I''ve kept snakes in the past and my corn snake went for 2 months without eating so i know it's not unusual, but still i'm geting woried as he's only little. I've tried rat pups intsead of mice in case he wanted a change and even tried him pinkies, as he was on fuzzies, in case they were too big for him. Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2010 :  14:10:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hoggies are noted for going off their food for weeks at a time, especially male ones. If he's active and seems healthy otherwise, it's probably not cause for concern yet, but you're right to keep an eye on his weight.
Some tricks to try are warming up the pinky first (not in the microwave, though - I speak from experience), splitting the pinky's head before feeding, putting the pinky in a feeding container and putting the snake in with it, then leaving it for a while, or try scenting the pinky with fish oil (or a frog/toad if you can get a dead one, I've been told that frog's legs will do the trick).
Also make sure you leave a gap of a few days between feeding attempts, as Piglet will probably be put off if you offer food every day.
If all else fails and he is losing too much weight, then you could take him to a vet and have him checked over for parasitic or bacterial problems. If you have a reputable herp vet near you, they will probably be able to force feed a snake for you as a last resort. Whereabouts do you live? Someone might be able to recommend a good vet for you.

1.0.0. Western hognose (Baldrick)
0.1.0. Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)
R.I.P. Bob (Western hognose)
Go to Top of Page

Shelly
Egg

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  19:22:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've tried all of the above and still no luck :( Trying not to worry too much as i'm hoping he'll have the common sense to eat before he starves to death. I live in Bristol, there are loads of reptile shops down here so if need be i'm sure if i take him one of them they'll be happy to help, but if you do know of any good herp vets down this way i'd appreciate it if you'd let me know their details. I'll let you know as soon as Piglet feed, which hopefully won't be too long (Fingers and everything crossable is crossed)
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
Hognose Admin

United Kingdom
746 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  15:08:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Shelley- welcome to the forum

Try not to despair too much. Male hoggies go off food quite ofte, so you'd be a nervous wreck if you worried about it all the time.

Just be patient and keep trying, adapting your techniques every so often to see if he'll eat if it's presented differently.

I know it sounds daft but I've known snakes that will only eat white mice and not black. Some like to eat within the viv, some outside. Some will let you watch whearas others only eat when given privacy. Some like their prey warm, while others will eat it at room temp. It's just a case of finding out what suits your hoggy

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000