New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lexx
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2010 :  09:48:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello there. This week I got myself a female Hognose snake. It's my first snake I've had and am looking for some pointers on handling.

We got her vivarium set up at weekend and let it run over weekend to make sure it worked fine. Brought her home on Monday. As the reptile store said we left her to her new environment to get acclimatised. She even took her first feed on Tuesday! Which surprised us a lot. Even then though we left her to today so 2 days had been since she arrived here.

Now though I'm having issues picking her up. I tried moving my hand under her to scoop her up like I've seen demonstrated. But she flicks her tail and lunges at me. Though she seems fine with my hand in the tank to top up water as long as it doesn't get too close to her. There's no sign of a lump from her food in her. Any insight and pointers I might not have found out would be greatly appreciated. I just want to get her used to me whilst causing as little stress on her as possible.

Thanks for taking your time reading this.

Andy_G
Egg

Canada
61 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2010 :  16:28:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hognose snakes love to bluff. Half of my adults still do it. If you just pick your snake up, it will calm down when it is in your hand.
Go to Top of Page

Bufo Bill
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2010 :  19:17:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there here are my hints and tips. Be firm in your movements and decisive. Hold the snake as you would any small animal, firmly but don't squeeze. hold the snake by the front quarter of it's length and the third quarter, and support as much of the body in between as you can. the idea is to make the snake confident that it won't be dropped, so don't keep on pulling your hands away if it hisses or rears up. As it says in the previous post they are all bluff. Sit down with the snake and just rest it on your lap, maintain your hold and speak slowly and gently ( it sounds silly but it is very difficult to be on edge or panic if you can make your voice soothing, so it isn't to soothe the snake but soothes you )! When you are both a bit calmer return the snake to the cage and try again tommorow, when you can work on releasin your grip and contaioning the snake on your lap.

it is through this contact that you engage in a rare and unforgettable relationship with one of creation's most amazing creatures. It is so rewarding.

Hope this helps and comforts you as much as you will do for your snake in the times to come.

All the best from Bill.

Bufo Bill: Animal Keeper and professional geek.
Go to Top of Page

Lexx
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2010 :  20:12:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks both of you. I was mainly just looking for reassurance from people with experience in the matter. I got told they can be feisty but now I know they're big bluffers that really helps ease my mind. I have Beardies and they were a lot easier to get used to me I must say. I guess that's part of the allure of this. A step up and a new challenge. Ill leave her to it and try again tomorrow if I see her poking at the glass or Friday if not.

Thanks again. Ill post some pics of her some time. Shes called Daria.
Go to Top of Page

Bufo Bill
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2010 :  23:38:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been bitten by all the common beginners snakes, Corns, rats, Kings, Royals; many times by many different animals, but only once has a hognose gone for me, and that was one of the less common species that was not used to people and was milky eyed. Western hognoses are almost always captive bred in the normal petshops and are more used to people, but are much calmer and less skittish and less bite-prone than any other common beginners species.

As you say Lexx, They're not feisty at all, once you get past the bluff. Other snakes bite more often with less warning!

All the best from Bill.

Bufo Bill: Animal Keeper and professional geek.
Go to Top of Page

Andy_G
Egg

Canada
61 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2010 :  02:57:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have only had one baby go after me, and it was lunge forward with an open mouth...a feeding response. Two of my adult females do this during right before and right after breeding cycles and will chew on their water dishes if they mistake it as food. The ones that most likely will not bite are the ones that hood and hiss first, and use closed mouth strikes.

Go to Top of Page

Lexx
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2010 :  08:05:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great to know. Well she hasn't hissed once at me when I tried yesterday so Ill call her bluff once I see her up today. No hooding either. If I was as good at bluffing Id be great at poker .
Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2010 :  14:50:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My hoggy is hissing at me every day at the moment because he's about to shed and doesn't want any contact with me! I just ignore him and he soon gets the idea that he can't frighten me with his cobra-impersonating ways.
I found the hissing really disconcerting when I first got my hog, but now I find it funny to see such a small snake putting on such a big bluff. It's all part of their charm and I can guarantee that you'll find it cute one day!

1.0.0. Western hognose (Baldrick)
0.1.0. Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)
R.I.P. Bob (Western hognose)
Go to Top of Page

hc-burrel
Snake Mite

Netherlands
30 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2010 :  08:46:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Use a hook! :P
I got some hogs how dont care to be handled
But also got some hogs who will bite every time they got a chance to.
Others are bluffing a lot but when handled they are scared to **** and wont even make a sound enymore :P
Every hognose can be diffrent

My snakes:
6.4 Heterodon nasicus nasicus 01-07-2009
2.0 Heterodon nasicus nasicus 05-10-2008
1.1 Heterodon nasicus nasicus
1.0 Heterodon nasicus nasicus - Albino
0.1 Heterodon nasicus nasicus - Hetro highcontrast albino (green)
1.1 Lampropeltis triangulum sinaloae
Go to Top of Page

Lexx
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2010 :  17:38:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just thought Id update. I've now handled her twice for a few minutes each time. The first time she put a lot of bluff up until like said I had her in my hand. This second time she's been a lot better. I was able to pet her more without her trying to wriggle away. It's going to be constant work taming her but I look forward to it after this initial success.

Thank you all for your comments. They really helped me in my confidence in myself and to handle her well. Ill post some photos up of her some time in the near future you all.
Go to Top of Page

hc-burrel
Snake Mite

Netherlands
30 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  16:58:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Snakes dont get tamed
And they are never in ther life gonna like it to be handled.
I only handle befor feeding to place them in a feeding box, ore when needed because of possible medical issues.
Im not a fan of petting snakes, snake are ment to look at.

I suggest to only handle them when realy needed.
After a while they get a bit used to it anyway.

Handling to much creates stress and possble healt problems caused by stress. Even if they seem to dont care.

My snakes:
6.4 Heterodon nasicus nasicus 01-07-2009
2.0 Heterodon nasicus nasicus 05-10-2008
1.1 Heterodon nasicus nasicus
1.0 Heterodon nasicus nasicus - Albino
0.1 Heterodon nasicus nasicus - Hetro highcontrast albino (green)
1.1 Lampropeltis triangulum sinaloae

Edited by - hc-burrel on 09/05/2010 17:10:17
Go to Top of Page

Lettsy1
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  22:14:05  Show Profile  Click to see Lettsy1's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hc-burrel

Snakes dont get tamed
And they are never in ther life gonna like it to be handled.
I only handle befor feeding to place them in a feeding box, ore when needed because of possible medical issues.
Im not a fan of petting snakes, snake are ment to look at.

I suggest to only handle them when realy needed.
After a while they get a bit used to it anyway.

Handling to much creates stress and possble healt problems caused by stress. Even if they seem to dont care.

Hiya, sorry but i just had to say i dont think that Lexx meant tame or pet as in the way we tame and pet dogs etc, but think she meant to say build up the trust between her and the hoggie, we all know they are, and will always be 'wild' but trust can be obtained with a little time and patience.(which was not one of my strong points but it is now! lol)
Surely the idea of havin a pet of any kind is to have some interaction with them, (thats why i dont do fish!) not to the excess of stressing it out or causing discomfort, but that will be dictated by the behaviour of the snake, as responsible owners we know this and are learning how to read our pets, as i am with mine. my two are completely different, my hoggie loves to be out and explores everywhere,i have only had him 3 weeks. but my royal has taken 7 weeks to start to trust me. Thing is, every snake is different, as is every owner, every one has diff ways of doin things, handling is also a good way to check if snakey has any medical issues so i figure its good to get them used to it, so it doesnt stress them any more if they do become ill. sorry for goin on ( will get off my soapbox now! ) but just wanted to express my opinion.

1.2.0 Royal Python (Dash,Sheba & Ditto)
1.1.0 Western Hognose (Frank & Grace)
0.0.1 Snow Corn (Ghost)
Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2010 :  10:10:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Lettsy, there's nothing wrong with handling snakes, although they're never going to be "tame" in the same way that a cat or dog would be. I also think it's good for them to get out of their viv and explore some new surroundings sometimes. They're so curious, I think it would be unfair on them to only let them look at the same four vivarium walls all the time!

1.0.0. Western hognose (Baldrick)
0.1.0. Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)
R.I.P. Bob (Western hognose)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000