New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DanielDebs
Snake Mite

Russia
1 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  22:24:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I bought a small male HOGNOSE snake last November, he was eating very good till I had to go into vacation in December I left my snake for 14 days, when I got back, I gave him 1 mice, he swallow it but he belched it back in a couple of hours, and didn’t eat.
Last week I tried to force-feed him, and I did twice, every time he was belching the mice back!
Please tell me what should I do, I’m really worried and afraid to lose my snake!

sexychef
Hognose Moderator

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  22:51:03  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
first thing is not to panic. males do go of there food its completely normal. just to reasure you i had a male hatchling that went 4months with no food and he was and still is doing great.

dont try to force feed there is no need to yet.

what size mouse has he been eating, what are his wieghts?

try feeding him normally for the time being, try once a week. if he doesnt take it striaght away just leave the mouse in with him overnight undisturbed.

over all try not to disturb him so no haderling if possible.

keep us posted and hi and welcome to the forum

1.0.0 western hognose 1.1.0 royals 2.1.0 corn snake
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
Hognose Admin

United Kingdom
746 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2010 :  11:53:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How long after his re-gurge did you wait before feeding him again?

Sometimes when a snake regurgitates it's meal it can leave them with a upset stomach, so it's best to wait a week afterwards before trying them again. Plus force feeding is quite streeful too, so that could also cause further regurgitations.

I agree with Sexychef to not panic. He won't starve just yet. Males are particulary rubbish feeders.

Is he pooing alright? a blockage in his digestive system is another possibility, but this would be best diagnosed by a reptile vet.

Go to Top of Page

Andy_G
Egg

Canada
61 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2010 :  04:31:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How big was the mouse?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: