Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2009 :  12:53:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My male hoggy hasn't eaten for 8 weeks now and while I wasn't worried at first, he's now started losing weight. It's only about 2% of his body weight at the moment, but he was quite small to start with so I don't feel like he can really afford to lose a lot.
Is there a point when you would start to worry about weight loss, and what would you do about it? I do have a good vet who would probably be happy to force feed him for me but obviously that's a last resort and I don't want him to be stressed.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

1.0.0. Western hognose (Baldrick)
0.1.0. Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)
R.I.P. Bob (Western hognose)

sexychef
Hognose Moderator

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2009 :  13:38:55  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hi how old is your hoggie and can you post the wieghts of him as well.
has his skin started to get lose.
has anything changed ie temps/setup/room where its kept?

1.0.0 western hognose 1.1.0 royals 2.1.0 corn snake
Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2009 :  14:44:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's 18 months old, he did weigh 47g and now he weighs 45g. He's slightly over 12 inches long. His skin isn't loose as such, but he does look less chunky than he did.
Nothing has changed in his set-up, but he seems to want to hide all the time, so I was wondering if he has responded to the shorter days by trying to hibernate. I leave the light on in his room during the day to keep him "awake", is that a good idea?

Go to Top of Page

sexychef
Hognose Moderator

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2009 :  15:38:09  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
light is ok but day light should be fine.
have you tried a smaller pray size?
males do tend to go of there food.
just monitor the wieght over the next few weeks.

Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2009 :  15:54:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I've tried giving him very small pinkies and braining them, and all the other tricks. He has gone on hunger strike before but not for as long as this.
I will keep weighing him but I wish he wouldn't be so difficult! My corn snake is practically angelic in comparison!

Go to Top of Page

sexychef
Hognose Moderator

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2009 :  16:28:07  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ah the corn eating machine. it makes hoggies more fun just think having a hoggie and royal hehe

Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  15:14:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, my corn is a reptilian dustbin! Think the hoggy is difficult enough without lumbering myself with a royal as well!

Go to Top of Page

talkativesprout
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  18:55:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im not a hoggie expert,but i think u will find lots of not eating posts on all the snake forums this time of year, i was talking to my local rep bod and she had to defrost her prey in a tin of tuna juice, dont know if it works or you tried it , but she said hes made upfor lost time since ...gobble gobble
Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  15:24:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's the one thing I haven't tried yet - might be worth a shot. I did try scenting with cod liver oil once, but all it did was stink the house out and he still didn't eat it.

Go to Top of Page

scubamedic
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  19:39:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my hoggie has not aten since I got him back in october. Hes a fiesty little SOB. have tried tuna juice, pinkies, cod liver oil but no joy. i believe hes a year old. he weighed 20g when I bought him and hes now down to 12g and im starting to get really worried because he is so small and he cant afford to lose too much.

1.1.0 Western Hognoses (Harry and Hermione)
1.1.0 Royal Pythons (Monty and Matilda)
1.1.4 Leopard Geckos
1.1.0 Rankins Dragons
0.1.0 Jack Russel (Lucy)
Tropical, Pond fish and koi carp
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
Hognose Admin

United Kingdom
746 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  21:44:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there a experienced reptile keeper or a vet you could take him to near by? If he's losing a lot of weight then it's a good idea to let someone else have a go. Worse case scenario he might need assist feeding, but only someone with a lot of experience should try this.

Go to Top of Page

sexychef
Hognose Moderator

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  11:57:16  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scubamedic

my hoggie has not aten since I got him back in october. Hes a fiesty little SOB. have tried tuna juice, pinkies, cod liver oil but no joy. i believe hes a year old. he weighed 20g when I bought him and hes now down to 12g and im starting to get really worried because he is so small and he cant afford to lose too much.

im with kaz on this one my hoggie lost the same sort of wieght and had to get an exprienced person to pinky press feed him

Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2009 :  13:24:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have just managed to successfully feed Baldrick, although he did have to go to the vet and have some precautionary antibiotics in the meantime. He looks a bit better already, so hopefully I might be able to get some more weight onto him now.
In the case of the above poster, I would definitely get a professional to look at that snake. He has lost 40% of his body weight and I would be concerned about anything more than 10%, especially for such a small one.

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
Hognose Admin

United Kingdom
746 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2009 :  22:01:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations on getting him to feed. Hopefully he'll keep at it now he's started.

Go to Top of Page

sexychef
Hognose Moderator

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2009 :  11:14:09  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
congrates

Go to Top of Page

scubamedic
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  12:14:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks everyone for your advice

still not eaten but he has had a full shed this week

have a very good reptile shop locally who also breeed hogs, and have been seeking advice from them from the get go. they have offered to have a look at him and see what they think. they have also offered to see if they can get him feeding for me, which i am going to have to seriously consider. Female hoggie has also stopped eating now as well

I realise the time of the year and they may be starting to bruminate?? sorry not sure on spelling.

Could I trick them into "coming out" of this by increasing temp and adding a light. I know humans can be affected by seasonal affected disorder- guessing snakes have a similar thing. Problem is im not convinced they have enough light really, but then I have seen them in some shops and they only have slightly more than me. would it be worth investing in a small light bulb or UV (know they dont really need UV per se) but am looking for ideas

Thanks again everyone for your ongoing advice
Neil

1.1.0 Western Hognoses (Harry and Hermione)
1.1.0 Royal Pythons (Monty and Matilda)
1.1.4 Leopard Geckos
1.1.0 Rankins Dragons
0.1.0 Jack Russel (Lucy)
Tropical, Pond fish and koi carp
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page