New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

boze
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  18:51:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So hi, Ive had my first snake (a royal) for a few months now and, as im quite sure you can all empathise with, im kinda itching to get another rep....

I really like the look of hognoses and have been looking about online for some more info on them but decided the best place is here as you never know what bad information someone else has put up on their site. And, being a member of the royal python forum too, I have every faith that what you guys tell me is right :-)

Basically im just curious about their behaviour and habits and have a few questions...

-Are they an active breed of snake? Or are they more likely to hide all day and only come out when nobody is around?

-What sort of size do they get to?

-Are there any real differences, with regards to size/behaviour, between males and females?

-How are they as feeders? Royals can be fussy sometimes, are hoggies similar?

Also Ive noticed there are a lot of different types of hognose like western etc so what are the differences and which would you recommend?

I know its a lot of questions and I also know that every snake is different as an individual, Im just wondering if there are any general rules or anything I should know as a potential hognose owner.

And finally, how much would I expect to pay for a hatchling from a breeder? And for a yearling?

Many thanks in advance :-)

D

sexychef
Hognose Moderator

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2009 :  15:43:52  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boze

So hi, Ive had my first snake (a royal) for a few months now and, as im quite sure you can all empathise with, im kinda itching to get another rep....

I really like the look of hognoses and have been looking about online for some more info on them but decided the best place is here as you never know what bad information someone else has put up on their site. And, being a member of the royal python forum too, I have every faith that what you guys tell me is right :-)

Basically im just curious about their behaviour and habits and have a few questions...

-Are they an active breed of snake? Or are they more likely to hide all day and only come out when nobody is around?
they are active during the day and love making tunnels in there substrate

-What sort of size do they get to?
males top out around 2foot females slightly larger

-Are there any real differences, with regards to size/behaviour, between males and females?
as above and males tend to be the pickier feeders they are all bluff tho really hissy till you pick them up then there fine

-How are they as feeders? Royals can be fussy sometimes, are hoggies similar?
males seem to go off there food for periods

Also Ive noticed there are a lot of different types of hognose like western etc so what are the differences and which would you recommend?
i only really know about westerns they are probably the most common and there are alot of morphs out there now

I know its a lot of questions and I also know that every snake is different as an individual, Im just wondering if there are any general rules or anything I should know as a potential hognose owner.
be aware they do have mild venome so if you suffer badly from bee's/wasp stings think carefully before you get one

And finally, how much would I expect to pay for a hatchling from a breeder? And for a yearling?
anywere from 30-50quid for a normal morph and alot higher for a visual morph

Many thanks in advance :-)

D

hope that helps you out

1.0.0 western hognose 1.1.0 royals 2.1.0 corn snake
Go to Top of Page

boze
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2009 :  14:44:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome, thanks muchly bud!!

I'd heard about the venom but it doesnt really bother me, Ive never had any allergies, been stung plenty times too hehe So by the sounds of it ill probably end up getting a wee female at some point soon, probably not long after christmas :-)

Are they OK on a heat mat? My royals on an IR bulb and dimmer now so ive got a PP stat and mat free.... Also do you have to start them out in a RUB or can you put them straight in a viv? And one more Q: Do they have any special substrate requirements?

Thanks again

D
Go to Top of Page

sexychef
Hognose Moderator

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2009 :  15:47:54  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heat mats are fine but make sure they cant get on it direct as they like to burrow.

i had my hatchling in a 0.5l sandwich style tub and is moving up in rub size at the end he will be in a 2foot by 2foot viv.

as for substrate stay away from any pine, i use aspen and kitchen roll, some people use sand but be carefull with impaction.

Go to Top of Page

boze
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2009 :  15:01:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool, ill put the heat mat under some lino then. Ta Muchly!!!!

D
Go to Top of Page

sexychef
Hognose Moderator

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2009 :  18:40:04  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
lino is fine and good idea

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000