Hello & concerns
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bengy_s
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2009 :  16:03:59  Show Profile  Send bengy_s an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi everbody.

Some of you who have other snakes and use the sister sites thecornsnake.co.uk & theroyalpython.co.uk may recognise my name.

As sites suggest I have 2 corns and 1 Royal Python.

I'm thinking of getting a hognose (or rainbow boa). I'm pretty experienced with snakes & know more than some. However there is also a lot to learn (none of us know everything about snakes!).

Been googling these little guys, care sheets, morph types etc. I could definately take care of one of these guys and think one would make an interesting addition to my collection.

Just worried about their (mild) venom. I've been known amongst friends etc. not to have the greatest of luck & my immune system isn't the best!

I came across this link and although I would like one, I'm worried what a bit like this could do to me?

http://www.herpnet.net/bite/

Thanks & hi in advance

Ben (bengy_s)

Gingerpony
Hognose Moderator

United Kingdom
117 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2009 :  21:24:30  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya amd welcome over here too hun

but i can't help you with hoggies

6.4.0 Corn snakes www.thecornsnake.co.uk
2.1.0 Dumerils boas
0.1.0 Argentine x BCI err... www.therainbowboa.co.uk
www.theroyalpython.co.uk
www.thekingsnake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

bengy_s
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2009 :  22:19:24  Show Profile  Send bengy_s an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yes hi Ali. See your posts all the time! Just can't decide between hognose or rainbow. Is it true the Dumerils boas make really good docile pets? They look like they could kill you with a look!

Edited by - bengy_s on 29/10/2009 22:20:06
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Hognose Moderator

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  09:29:05  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome on here Ben. Are you allergic to bee/wasp stings? Unless you are sure that you are not then there is always the risk that you could have an allergic reaction to a bite. From what I have read, the smaller species of hoggie have to have a good old chew of your hand/finger to be able to get their fangs in. Larger species, such as those from Madagascar, wouldn't have quite as much trouble envenomating you.

Dums are great but just remember to consider how big they can get. The Hoff is having a bit of an anger issue at the moment but will calm down eventually. I don't think he has quite forgiven me yet for dropping a rat fluff on his head when he was sleeping

Either species make great pets so the choice is yours really.

0.0.1 Royal Python, 1.0.0 Dumeril's Boa
0.0.1 Bosc's Monitor, 1.4.1 Phyllium phillipines
0.1.0 Malagasy Blonde Hognose
Go to Top of Page

sexychef
Hognose Moderator

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  10:55:15  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hoggies really have to chew you to get there fangs in.

yes those pics are real but the hoggy had been chopping on him for a few minutes.

hoggies have many bluffs before they will bite as well

1.0.0 western hognose 1.1.0 royals 2.1.0 corn snake
Go to Top of Page

bengy_s
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  17:17:45  Show Profile  Send bengy_s an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. I dont't have an allergic reaction to bee/wasp. Haven't been bit for years though. Just thought i'd mention it as I'm allergic to some medication (even hypoallergenic (sp?) plasters!).

Yes thought that bout the hoggies as the man on the thread said it had been knawing on him for a while (seems like he was asking for it if you ask me!).

I like the albino westerns or tri coloured but wouldn't complain if had a vivid reg. western? Whats the avaliability of the first two? Prices?

thanks ppl! & Look forward to knowing you more if I decide to get one!
Go to Top of Page

dnlbwls
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2009 :  20:32:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
albino wwesterns are around 275-350 as hatchlings i beleive<getting an 08 soon
as for availability i beleive a few males are around in the uk females mainly held back or sold on already
and a few breeders going to hamm will have a few females left or so ive been contacted and told so
cheers and welcome
danny

western
hognose 1.1
albino1.0
royal pythons2.3
Go to Top of Page

bengy_s
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  13:27:14  Show Profile  Send bengy_s an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for info. You got any photos of the lone female you got for sale?
Go to Top of Page

huffnpuff
Egg

United Kingdom
93 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  12:12:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the same problem as you and seem to be gathering up allergies at a stupid speed, but have never had any problems with my two , my girl is by far the most aggressive of the two but all she does is headbutt me or her fav trick MUSK.

1.0.0 Amel stripe(Dezzi)
0.1.0 Snow Corn (Rizzie)
1.1.0 western hognose (Huff and Puff)
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko (Tango)
1.0.0 Fanfooted Gecko (Dave)
1.0.0 Budgie (Lorne)

Thanks to Kizzig for the sig xx
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
Hognose Admin

United Kingdom
746 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  15:19:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello bengy_s

I've seen that link before and think he must have purposefully allowed the hoggy to cause that much damage.

Most hoggys are unlikely to bite, but I always advise that if you are concerned at all then it might be best not to get one. I don't think I'd have one if I had a child in the house even though I really don't believe that they are dangerous in any way.

Lewy is allergic to stings, but he doesn't handle Wilbur really. He thinks he's too wriggly

Rainbow boas are cool snakes too, but they can be nippy! Seems like your decision is between a bad but rare biter or a alright but more common biter

Go to Top of Page

bengy_s
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  01:31:12  Show Profile  Send bengy_s an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

Most hoggys are unlikely to bite, but I always advise that if you are concerned at all then it might be best not to get one. I don't think I'd have one if I had a child in the house even though I really don't believe that they are dangerous in any way.

Lewy is allergic to stings, but he doesn't handle Wilbur really. He thinks he's too wriggly

Rainbow boas are cool snakes too, but they can be nippy! Seems like your decision is between a bad but rare biter or a alright but more common biter

Yes well put Kaz Re: the concern then not get one
Don't have kids (except me..... 23 but act 12 most of the time!), but good point well put.

Thinking hard bout boa but as I travel to and from Bristol & Lyme Regis to see friends and family (70 miles) my girlfriend happily water changes, spot checks & temp checks for me but perhaps rainbow too much for my current situation i.e maintaining humidity. (would hate to & would not get pet without knowing i can look after it)

So maybe best to keep to royals and corns. Maybe a king or milk!?! Love the pubelan milk! Heard they pooh on you alot and nippy as hatchlings, but I guess most snakes are.

Thanks for being up front. I just think it would be a risk to get a hoggie and bad news for me and the snake if I got one and was tagged.

Edited by - bengy_s on 05/11/2009 01:32:26
Go to Top of Page

TheSnakeGuy1
Snake Mite

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  18:39:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hear it is pretty rare for people to have allergic reactions to them. If your not allergic to bee/wasp stings then you most likely will be ok if you were tagged by a hoggie. I think you should get a hognose more than a rainbow boa. Hoggies are so unique.

Alex Mota - Martinez
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000