Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Technobimbo
Hatchling Hoggie

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  21:05:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So what do I say... I think I've been bitten by the bug, and have been influenced by Kaz's sig on TCS of Wilbur.... He looks such a cutie.

Been having a read on here, and thinking that I may (just may mind you) consider adopting a hoggie when the next batches hatch

I think what may have finally done it for me was a paragraph I came across whilst having a mooch on the net to see what else I could find out about them...

Any of three or four species of harmless North American snakes named for their upturned snout, which is used for digging. When threatened, they flatten the head and neck, then strike with a loud hiss, but rarely bite. If their bluff fails, they roll over, writhing, and then act dead, with mouth open and tongue lolling. They eat chiefly toads and frogs. Heavy-bodied and blotchy, they are usually about 24 in. (60 cm) long. Though not adders, they are sometimes called puff adders or blow snakes.

Any of you ever seen any of this sort of behaviour from yours??.... it just sounds so ridiculously cute!! I think I might be in love...

Kazerella
Hognose Admin

United Kingdom
746 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  21:14:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine hasn't played dead, but he does the cobra-hood hissy thing all the time. It is cute!

If you want to see some playing dead videos, there is usually loads on You Tube

Go to Top of Page

magneticblue
Hognose Moderator

189 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  21:29:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apparantly if you have one that plays dead they lie on their backs. If you pick them up and put them on their bellies they roll over again as if to say 'No, I really am dead!'

1.2.0 Guyana red-tail boas (Hercules, Athena and Aphrodite)
1.0.0 Arizona Mountain Kingsnake (Sylar)
0.1.0 Blotched Kingsnake (Jasmin)
0.3.0 Cats (Lynx, Maizzi and Millie)
Go to Top of Page

sexychef
Hognose Moderator

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  23:06:35  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hoggies are cool and are really are very cute when they play there games

1.0.0 western hognose 1.1.0 royals 2.1.0 corn snake
Go to Top of Page

peanuts
Egg

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2008 :  20:15:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ours hisses and pretends to be a cobra, but hasn't ever played dead, he is ridiculously cute though, especially when he hisses, such determination for such a little pickle.
Go to Top of Page

Technobimbo
Hatchling Hoggie

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2008 :  23:13:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok... so I've been watching vids on youtube for about 2 hours now... I'm hooked!! How about posting some vids of yours playing hissy fits??

I must admit, I'm still a bit scared of getting tagged... have any of your bit yous yet?? Big sissy arn't I...lol

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
Hognose Admin

United Kingdom
746 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  16:46:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No bites here- I'm not scared either. The hissy dance always comes before a strike so it's a perfect warning system to tell you to get your hands out of the way

Go to Top of Page

sexychef
Hognose Moderator

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  18:13:17  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
no bites from ours just head butts

Go to Top of Page

Technobimbo
Hatchling Hoggie

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  19:54:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK... I'm done for ~ went to local pet shop and handled a baby hoggie after work this evening!!! I'm a gonner

They wanted £89 squid for it though, so needless to say I will not be getting that one!

There is a guy advertising on pre-loved in Oswestry, which is about an hour's ride from me... hoping to get him to answer his phone to see about going over tomorrow for a looksee and see if I can talk other half into buying one!!

Think I will go for a female - keep the balance right in our house!!

A viv like the one at the back of Holly's picture at our local shop costs £36 including heat mat, water dish(nice rock type one), hide and substrate - seems to be same price as buying the stuff seperately from there. Doesn't have a stat though - they only do the expensive make ones there... Do you think that if I do get to buy one tomorrow I would be ok without a stat for a few days so I can get one delivered off 888 rep's?? If I make sure I only put one third or less under tank, surely the whole viv cannot get too hot, so snakie could move to cool side???? what are your thoughts??

Of course, if anyone knows of any going for less than £50 within about 50 miles of Birmingham / Worcester area, I could be persuaded to travel!!

There are a couple on pre-loved in Bristol that I may go back and have another look at later.... Is there another site similar to pre-loved where they may have hoggies for sale??... (Not flea bay please!!)....

Ooooohhhhh ~ I'm getting so excited.... can you tell I nearly wet my pants....

Sorry for going over top - just had to share before I fizz up an' bost!!!

Go to Top of Page

Technobimbo
Hatchling Hoggie

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  23:57:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been an gone an done it! Cute little male baby... really quite laid back though - doesn't really seem to mind being picked up and handled - no hissy fits! Also managed to get a 2nd hand ?exo tera? small viv for £20 - got it in the bath with a mild bleach solution. Will rinse it off and get it set up tomorrow.

One happy bunny now...lol

Go to Top of Page

magneticblue
Hognose Moderator

189 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  01:17:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats! Let us know what its character is like, hissing, head-butting playing dead etc

1.2.0 Guyana red-tail boas (Hercules, Athena and Aphrodite)
1.0.0 Arizona Mountain Kingsnake (Sylar)
0.1.0 Blotched Kingsnake (Jasmin)
0.3.0 Cats (Lynx, Maizzi and Millie)
Go to Top of Page

Technobimbo
Hatchling Hoggie

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  15:32:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will let you know in a few day's after I've let him settle a bit. Am just in process of setting up his new viv now its clean and will only have him out to transfer into that, but he has been out of the hides I put in his temp viv looking around this morning.... seemed to coincide with the dogs coming into the room - wonder if he could smell them and though 'dinner time'...

Will put up a pic of his new viv setup later - think I will get an old aquarium picture out of shed and cut that down to stick to at least two walls of outside of viv to make it feel a bit more secure, but can't be a*sed to go outside at present cos it's hissing it down where I am!!

Here's a couple of pics I took last night when we were first settling him in. Very laid back little guy!

OMG... just realised how much he looks like Wilbur when doing a copy and paste!!... sorry Kaz - not trying to be a copy cat

Edited by - Technobimbo on 11/11/2008 18:31:23
Go to Top of Page

sexychef
Hognose Moderator

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  16:01:11  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
what a cutie.

Go to Top of Page

peanuts
Egg

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  16:02:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a little cutie, GIANT eyes! xxx
Go to Top of Page

Technobimbo
Hatchling Hoggie

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  21:12:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep... I love his eyes.. in fact I love every bit of him... especially that cheesy grin they all seem to have

Not one hiss or spit when I moved him from temp viv to perm home tonight - really so laid back its remarkable... hope its not a bad sign.

Pics of his new (2nd hand) viv ~ no comments on the fact that I'm using the unused two thirds of the heat mat to keep my pizza warm please

I've put a tupperware sand pit, and an old cod liver oil capsule holder stuffed with damp java moss in there as well as nicking some bark and a bit of log and plant from Tango's viv.... only other new bits I brought apart from the viv were the (bright green) water dish, and little hide. Total of £106 spent in last two days! OH says thats my christmas pressie... not even going to get me a bar of choccie for on the day! Meany!! He doesn't know I've just ordered a stat online teehee! What the OH's don't know won't hurt them

Thanks for your replies... I think I might calm down a little now but no promises

Edited by - Technobimbo on 09/11/2008 21:14:39
Go to Top of Page

peanuts
Egg

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  22:03:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's one expensive little hog and set up! looks great, i don't think we'd ever find hog t in there, he live's in a £1.50 tuperware tub, about the size of that sandpit and will untill he's big enough to go in a wilko £4.99 viv and then untill he's big enough to go in his 2'6 stack house, maybe we're to tight :P
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000