Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

keira
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2011 :  00:32:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi all
im getting a bit worried as hermione has taken 2 pinkies since been here but ron still not a thing. all they are doing is hissing and striking. normally i wouldnt worry as im used to royals playing the not feeding game, but these are babies only 6g i have warmed the food, brained it and scented it any ideas?

GrantyBhoy
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2011 :  13:54:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What time of day are you feeding them at? and whats your method of feeding (holding the pinkie in tongs or just leavin it lying in with the snake)

and always leave scenting it until a very very last resort, because you dont want to end up relying on a certain scent all the time :)

1.0.0 Western Hognose - Oscar
Go to Top of Page

keira
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2011 :  18:38:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi
i have tried all different times of the day my female ate around tea time, i usually feed with tongs but have also left in overnight, they are stroppy little
Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2011 :  15:49:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've found that, with Bob, I can get him to feed when he's a bit reluctant by holding the fuzzy right up against his mouth and applying a bit of gentle pressure. He then opens his mouth and I can pop the fuzzy in.
I think I agree with GrantyBhoy about the scenting, but if you're worried that they're losing weight, then definitely try it. Better to have them reliant on one particular scent than have them starve!

1.0.0. Western hognose (Baldrick)
0.1.0. Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)
R.I.P. Bob (Western hognose)
Go to Top of Page

keira
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2011 :  00:35:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi
they are not losing any weight yet thank goodness, and as weird as it sounds they look like they have grown. i was just wondering the person i bought them off kept thier babies together and mine are seperate. could this be a factor?
Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2011 :  09:52:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure - I think keeping them together would make them more likely to go off their food. You would definitely not try to feed them together, in any case, so I would keep on doing what you're doing at the moment.

Go to Top of Page

Toki
Hatchling Hoggie

United Kingdom
166 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2011 :  14:55:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to do what LouiseB does and apply a bit of pressure on one ours, just rub it on her nose. She then sort of leaps on it and opens her mouth. Our boy hasnt eaten with us yet but we only had him on Friday!

My hoggie before .... we used to have to warm it up, put it in a tub with him, cover him and leave him alone for about 20 mins. He would nto eat if you could see him.

Our young 2 now don't mind, but we have to put it in the tub with tweezers REALLY slowly, or the girl hisses madly and strikes at it.

Albino Cali King - Mort
Normal Cornsnake - Red
High Contrast Albino Hognose - Mia
Red Het Hognose - Freddie
Bearded Dragon - Remi
Cats - Jack and Nola
German Shepherd Dog - Kane. R.I.P. Old man, miss you loads xxx

R.I.P. Jango (Yemem Cham) and Toki (Western Hognose) xxxxx
Go to Top of Page

Gmac
Grumpy Scotsman

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2011 :  16:57:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they are young snakes and dont always do what we want them to do, putting 2 snakes in the same housing particularly opp sex snakes is not a good idea. While they are too young to breed if they get content together you may have issues splitting them up when slightly older.

Go to Top of Page

keira
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2011 :  23:25:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks everyone, ill keep persevering im not worried to much yet as they are both still very lively and a joy to handle, we love them to bits they are so cheeky im sure once they start i wont beable to stop them lol.

ill keep you posted
Go to Top of Page

andi
Egg

United Kingdom
62 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2011 :  18:09:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
try puttin him into a tiny tub, like the ones u get crickets in, and leave him alone in that with his food no hides or anything, if he has too much space he might not eat, and also check ur stat make sure its working properly and ur mat is working too, but if ur not happy go back to where u bought him and get them to help :o)
Go to Top of Page

keira
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2011 :  23:32:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi all
im sooo pleased the little devil ate 2 pinkies saturday no hissing or anythink fingers crossed he is over his little hissy fit lol
Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Yearling Hoggie

United Kingdom
624 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2011 :  09:53:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha ha, nice one! They can be exasperating, hungry as anything one minute and doing their hunger strike the next.
Bob (the snake formerly known as Chucky!) is doing well, still having a bit of a huff and a puff when he doesn't want to be played with, but he is eating OK and putting on weight.

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Hatchling Hoggie

United Kingdom
157 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2011 :  16:08:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really pleased to hear he ate for you

1.1.0 Hognose - Mr Hoggie, Miss Piggy
5.4.0 Corns - Swayze (ghost) Izzy (normal) Alice (amel) Peanut (butter motley) Noisy (lavender) Palace (amel) Lizzy (Normal) Connie (normal) Carmellia (butter motley)
0.1.0 cat - kizzy
1.0.0 Foster Dog - Paddy

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

MrsA82
Hatchling Hoggie

144 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2011 :  16:31:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great news hope he keeps it up :) our little male is only eating when he feels like it at the moment. In the last 3 weeks he's had 1 tiny fuzzy. Tried him last night, but he hissed at it for the first time ever..... That was scary lol

1.1 Extreme Red Albino Hognose
0.1.0 normal 100% het orange albino hognose
0.1.0 Normal hognose
3.5 Royal Python
0.1.0 Cornsnake
Go to Top of Page

keira
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2011 :  19:10:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi all thank you for your comments, good news both have eaten today so looks like ive done it
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Hatchling Hoggie

United Kingdom
157 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2011 :  20:16:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic news. long may it continue

1.1.0 Hognose - Mr Hoggie, Miss Piggy
5.4.0 Corns - Swayze (ghost) Izzy (normal) Alice (amel) Peanut (butter motley) Noisy (lavender) Palace (amel) Lizzy (Normal) Connie (normal) Carmellia (butter motley)
0.1.0 cat - kizzy
1.0.0 Foster Dog - Paddy

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000