The Hognose Snake Forum
The Hognose Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Hognose Snake Posts
 Hognose Health
 Bug eating hoggy!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Shelly Posted - 07/09/2010 : 09:59:00
I know this may sound a little odd but I think my hoggy Piglet has been eating bugs. He's not eaten anything for about 3 months now, even though I've tried everything from fish juices and rat pinkies, to naturally defrosted and using hot water to defrost them and even braining. I've got him out this morning to have a cuddle and found what looks like a spiders leg hanging out of his mouth Is this normal behaviour for a hoggy? I'm confused as to why he'd eat a spider and not. a juicey mouse. Any thoughts or explanation for this strange diet would really be appricated? I'm not complaining if it means he's eating but just want to check it won't do my little buddy any harm. Hes a year old now and still very little.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
LouiseB Posted - 25/10/2010 : 11:08:52
That's really good to hear - I was getting a bit worried about him, as I do with all awkward hoggies that I hear about! It's good that you didn't have to resort to the vet too.
Shelly Posted - 23/10/2010 : 00:05:28
Sorry guys, been a bit busy lately but thought I'd let you all know that he has finally eaten. Piglet has eaten 4 very small pinkies over 2 days and is looking a lot better. I'm just hoping he continues to eat from now on. Here's hoping. Thanks for all your advice. :)
Tiffany-x Posted - 19/10/2010 : 19:30:51
I dont know if this applies to hoggies but you can give corns mouse tails, wait for someone who knows more to come along but I dont think it would hurt a hoggie. You can give a hoggie a tail because its so small and it can easily be pushed into the mouth. I hope this helps you.
Tiffany-x
LouiseB Posted - 19/10/2010 : 16:27:14
Any progress, Shelly?
Josh6nine Posted - 05/10/2010 : 23:50:42
I got my hognose about 3 months ago from someone on preloved.com , he is 2 years old and the guy said he was eating adult mice and shedding fine. When I fed him he didn't want to know and this continued until a couple of weeks ago. I tried loads of stuff to make him eat but in the end he went for a rat pup warmed up and brained. I tried this evening to move him up to an adult mouse brained but he didn't want so I guess it's rat pups for the time being. Also people have had success with boiled egg scenting and even bits of boiled egg. Really hope yours eats soon.
Shelly Posted - 04/10/2010 : 19:01:00
Just thought I'd fill you in on the latest. Piglet has now shed, although he did have to have alot of help in doing so. I'm now going to let him de-stress for a few days before attempting to feed him. He's picked up a bit and has come out exploring the las few days. Fingers crossed he now decides to eat again. Here's hoping.
LouiseB Posted - 30/09/2010 : 12:08:22
Yeah, shedding is a good sign, and it would explain why his skin looked a bit off colour before, and also why he didn't want to eat.
Once he has shed, you could try feeding him again before you go down the vet route?
Shelly Posted - 28/09/2010 : 19:35:27
Hey LouiseB. Thanks for asking about Piglet. Sadly he's still not eaten but he's gone into shed and is currently coming out of blue, so thought it'd be best if I waited until after he's shed to then take him to a vet. I'm thinking it's a good sign if he's shedding. What do you think?
LouiseB Posted - 28/09/2010 : 15:16:58
Any news on the little fella? Has he been to a vet, or eaten anything?
Shelly Posted - 17/09/2010 : 10:20:02
Thanks everyone. I'll keep you all posted on how he's doing. X
diggler Posted - 17/09/2010 : 01:13:16
please let me know if you resolve the situation and how ,my older male is driveing me insaine with not eating good look to you hope we all turn out fine
LouiseB Posted - 15/09/2010 : 13:08:18
I think that if he hasn't lost weight he's probably not starving, but it would probably be a good idea to take him to a vet for your own peace of mind. You might need to make sure he hasn't got any internal parasites, which would affect his general condition and put him off eating.
I've done a quick Google of reptile vets in Bristol and it's come up with
the Golden Valley Vet Hospital in Nailsea, and The Zetland Vet Hospital in Redland - I can't tell you if they're any good but you could give them a call and see if there is anyone there who might be able to help you.
Let us know how it goes.
Andy_G Posted - 15/09/2010 : 04:45:01
I don't know what you mean by his skin condition, but if he has not lost weight, it sounds like he may go into a shed cycle from what you have described?
Shelly Posted - 14/09/2010 : 22:19:43
This is must last plea for help. Piglets condition is starting to go down hill. Hes still not lost any weight but his body and skin condition aren't what they were. His skins gone dry and lose. I've tried frog scenting a pinkie today and force feeding him but he ended up getting stressed out so I decided to stop. I think I'm going to lose him soon. I really don't know what else I can do, and I don't want to see him suffer. I'm at my wits end and was wondering what you guys would suggest? Does anyone know of any good herp vets in Bristol that I could take him to?
LouiseB Posted - 13/09/2010 : 14:26:27
If he's been filling up on spiders, he just might not be hungry. It is a bit gross, I agree - and I quite like spiders! Maybe he'll be more interested in taking pinkies when he's gone for a couple of weeks with no arachnids...

The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000