The Hognose Snake Forum
The Hognose Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Hognose Snake Posts
 Hognose Health
 Retained eye caps!! Again!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lettsy1 Posted - 23/07/2010 : 09:58:26
hiya, frank has just had his second shed, the first one was terrible all in peices and retained one eye cap that came off ok but this one has been a good shed but retained both eyecaps, got one off with bath and cotton bud but other seems stuck, cant put a damp hide in as he is on sand, or can I??? Am i best to leave it a couple of days then check again? Advice needed please!!!
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
LouiseB Posted - 13/09/2010 : 14:27:30
Oh good - hope he's OK and the next shed is a bit more successful.
Lettsy1 Posted - 11/09/2010 : 23:09:40
hiya, sorry took me so long for an update, ended up changing to aspen, kept the moist hide in but didnt help on its own so spoke to my local vet regarding viscotears, she said it will be fine and able to buy it from her with no prescription. 2 applications and had success!
LouiseB Posted - 26/07/2010 : 14:58:26
Let us know how it goes - hopefully the damp hide will do the trick.
Lettsy1 Posted - 23/07/2010 : 22:50:33
thanks louise, he has just one eyecap on his left eye still on. going to scales and tails in leicester tomoro to get some aspen and some more moss for a damp hide, think he is gonna be on aspen now cos the sand seems to be having an effect on his shedding. will see how he goes and will poss take him to a local vet who has a good reputation if no success in a couple of days of puttin new stuff in.
LouiseB Posted - 23/07/2010 : 14:46:03
So does he have two retained eyecaps on one eye now?
I definitely wouldn't advise using a cotton bud to get them off, there's just too much risk of damaging the eye at the same time.
I don't know about the sand issue, but you could try putting him into a damp pillowcase or something for a while, as that would have the same effect as a damp hide anyway.
Or could you change his bedding for aspen just for now so that you could put a damp hide in?
Also, do you have a decent herp vet or a reptile shop that might help you if all else fails?

The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000