The Hognose Snake Forum
The Hognose Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Hognose Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Question on shedding

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mum2Alfie2 Posted - 18/04/2011 : 23:12:02
When we picked up huff we were told that she was a he and that she was 18 months old. Now we have had him 8 months and she hasnt shed at all....at what age do they not shed so often and do they stop completely? She is one big girly blss her! So we think she is older. She is also very grumpy! She was known as Mr Grumpy while we thought she was a boy! :D Suited her perfectly! Now we have a boy we decided to change her name to huff and him to puff cause he didnt have a name!
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mandie Posted - 19/04/2011 : 14:07:40
I've got a female here who refused to eat anything other than fresh kills for 2 yrs, didn't breed her because I just couldn't swap her over to get the food into her to sustain breeding. This yr she came out of brumation and ate 2 large defrosts straight off the bat, thought not going to get my hopes up coz she's done this on me before, for a mth now she's taken 2 large mice defrosts twice a wk.

I have no clue whats changed other than her attitude, boiled egg white is good with stubborn hognose as is leaving a frog in with their dinner for a few hrs or just in a tub for 12hrs or so get it all slimey in there then use it for defrosting dinner coats the rodents and many have taken that way. Oh or the proverbial car drive for about an hr seems to work really well with some to encourage a normal appetite.
Mum2Alfie2 Posted - 19/04/2011 : 11:56:22
she is a real fussy eater!! She wont take anything hairy, so it needs to be pinkys although really she should be on mice! We feed every sunday, but for the past few weeks she hasnt taken anything....got her to feed last weekend....1 pinky. We have had 4 hoggys before these 2 and I have never had such a bad feeder!! We are stumped as to how to get her to feed better. So its not normal for a snake to not shed at all then? She is a large snakey. I will get them both out and take photos so you can see how large she is against the boy.
Mandie Posted - 19/04/2011 : 09:34:01
Generally hognose shed 4 times a yr unless they're breeding when they'll do a couple of extra's with their pre lay sheds for females that is lol.

What size food are you feeding her and what sort of size is she? Hognose are very easy to sex via vent to tail ratio's as adults, some hatchlings can be difficults due to some females having longer ratio. If she's not shed at all in 8 mths then I'd be looking to increasing her nutritional intake, I feed every 5 days with some females taking 2 - 3 large mice, these girls are between 600 & 800 gms on temps of 90 degrees.

The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000