The Hognose Snake Forum
The Hognose Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Hognose Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Still won't eat :(

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
MrsA82 Posted - 05/04/2011 : 13:23:02
Peppa is still refusing to eat after 5 weeks. Thought she would be back on track after her shed which she done this morning. She's not eaten since the day after I got her. She is currently attempting to escape a small faun containing just her and a brained fuzzy but nothing yet!

I've tried scenting with tuna, feeding in her viv, feeding on a tub, leaving overnight in her viv. Just don't know what else to try. All she does is huff and puff the odd headbutt too. I'm only offering once a week at moment. She put on a few g's after the one and only feed but lost them so back her starting weight of 58g

Any other ideas anyone?
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
MrsA82 Posted - 01/05/2011 : 14:49:43
Well another thing to try thanks, also got told sardines work a treat, as in scenting- but also leaving a bit of sardine in the tank too! along with defrosting with a fish finger also scenting with a guppy?? Might give that one a miss tho lol!!
Mandie Posted - 30/04/2011 : 23:19:35
I find warming dinner up well ie right thru then stabbing the abdomen works a treat, even got a female I've had to give fresh kills for 2 yrs onto defrosts using this method. I warm in hot water then as its cooled I replace it leave it to sit for half hr then replace again, stab body and offer. If they're stubborn I've taken water out for 3 days then offered same again and very wet so they drink from their dinner.
MrsA82 Posted - 29/04/2011 : 16:44:30
Well 1 out of 2 is not too bad lol!

No luck here with the salmon. Think I'll give up on the different methods as nothings working. Back to chucking a defrosted fuzzy in once a week. What would my next step be if she starts losing weight?
kdlang Posted - 28/04/2011 : 23:24:40
Mr Hoggie is just not interested at all. He ate the first time I fed him. In fact first he tried to eat the kitchen roll that the salmon juices and soaked into. Now he is just not interested at all. Turns his head away and carries on trying to find a way out of his faun. I tried putting him in a seperate tub with the mouse this week and covering him up for half an hour but i knew even just putting him in that it wasnt going to work. He went on a stressy trying to escape the tub. At least Miss Piggy is eating well. In fact if I wasn't worried about over feeding her then I would give her Mr hoggies left overs
MrsA82 Posted - 28/04/2011 : 20:11:30
Yeah will keep you posted

Wonder if pink or red are any different except price lol

Huffle sounds exactly the same as peppa when it comes to food! As soon a I put a mouse in she's just constantly hissing at it and striking but not in an eating way! Bloomin huffy little thing!!
Louise Posted - 28/04/2011 : 09:25:49
quote:
Originally posted by MrsA82

Somethings gotta give soon will buy salmon this week try that she's just so angry at her food!!

This is the problem I have, He is just so angry at everything! (although not so much at me now thankfully)

All he does is hiss and strike at the food then move away from it. I don't like feeding him as it really stresses him out!

I'm just gonna keep offering him a mouse as normal, weekly and hopefully he will eat when ready

Good luck with the salmon
LouiseB Posted - 28/04/2011 : 09:12:02
Cod liver oil is also supposed to be quite good, although none of these tricks ever worked for me - Baldrick either wants to eat or he doesn't!
MrsA82 Posted - 27/04/2011 : 16:51:56
Somethings gotta give soon will buy salmon this week try that she's just so angry at her food!!
hogboy Posted - 27/04/2011 : 16:12:08
I have a mexican that behaves in exactly the same way.
He's so pissed off all the time, he took months to get feeding.
I recently found the solution.
I feed him tinned red salmon scented pinks on tongs, and make sure i move as little as possible, i gently move the pink towards his mouth, and after a few minutes he'll take it from the tongs.
It took 9 months, but it worked for me.
Good luck
MrsA82 Posted - 27/04/2011 : 15:44:34
2g in 7 odd weeks so not a lot considering she is soooo active!
LouiseB Posted - 27/04/2011 : 12:21:22
I tend to go by weight loss rather than time taken to feed as an indicator of whether some sort of intervention is needed. Has your snake lost any weight at all?
Louise Posted - 27/04/2011 : 11:40:04
Same here! Fresh killed didn't work either. Funny thing is by now with the royal I was really stressing but with him, maybe because he is a bit older, I just don't feel too worried.

MrsA82 Posted - 27/04/2011 : 11:00:38
Still no luck here

How long without feeding before you should start to get really concerned?
LouiseB Posted - 08/04/2011 : 10:19:47
I've never had to resort to freshly killed, but if you have the facility to do it, it can't hurt to try.
Someone mentioned the time of year further up the thread, and I think that's probably a factor too. My Baldrick does seem to permanently have the horn in the spring, and although he does feed on and off I think his mind is straying towards the ladies most of the time.
They are infuriating snakes but I'm sure we wouldn't change them for the world!
Louise Posted - 08/04/2011 : 07:41:06
I'm gonna give Huffle a few more tries but if he doesn't start eating is it a good idea to try a fresh killed twitching mouse? I have loads of babies right now so fresh killed is an option but I don't want to freak him out! He seemed terrified of the dead one but the breeder told me he is a great feeder so I want to kick start his feeding response again.

The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000