The Hognose Snake Forum
The Hognose Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Hognose Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Angry snakes

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
louloub Posted - 01/04/2010 : 18:58:19
Hi um hows the best way 2 get hoggnose's out of aggressive/defensive behaviour? MY hoggie was quite huffy less than a week after i'd gotten him but then he was fine but now is extremly difficult 2 pick up due to his behaviour. Could it be how noisey my house is. As my next door neighbours are renovating their house so for bout 8 hours a day for the last three days its been quite noisey :S
Any1 have any tips??
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
boze Posted - 03/05/2010 : 19:28:35
My wee hoggie is 18grams now, ive had him since 6grams and hes starting to settle down recently. Hasnt struck at me for a while, he still hoods up when I take the lid off his RUB but the hissing and striking are gone.

As for advice, like most people have said, just pick him up and he'll settle down right away.

D
LouiseB Posted - 30/04/2010 : 20:08:56
Nice one! Glad he's doing what he's meant to!
louloub Posted - 30/04/2010 : 18:55:53
he shed last night, it was perfect from the nose right to the end of his tail :)
Andy_G Posted - 28/04/2010 : 17:09:03
About half of my hognose snakes always bluff by means of closed mouth striking and hooding. The best thing to do is just pick your snake up and ignore the bluffs.

If your hognose is about to shed, you will see it's eyes turn a cloudy blue colour for a few days, then it will clear up, and about 24-48 hours after it clears up, your hognose will shed.
Kazerella Posted - 20/04/2010 : 17:37:40
Mine also tends to hide away a lot more prior to shedding
LouiseB Posted - 16/04/2010 : 11:27:12
His eyes will go cloudy for a few days and you might notice some cloudiness at the edge of his scales, especially the darker coloured ones on his belly.
He will also probably go off his food and he might even start hissing at you again if you handle him. They feel much more vulnerable when they're about to shed because their eyesight gets worse and they don't have as much energy, so you might want to stop handling him again until his shed has finished.
louloub Posted - 15/04/2010 : 19:13:08
thnx 4 the advice
we decided to try to let him get used to us a bit by putting our upturned hands into the viv so him could get used to our scent then let him make a move towards us before we tried to pick him up and this seemed to work.
we'v had him now for bout a month an he is very comfortable coming to us, but strangly does not like bein picked up from him belly very much, he prefers when we put our hands under his head an makin his own way onto our hands.

he is gettin a little uncomfortable bein handled at the mo though cuz we think he might be comin into shed soon. he is goin dull around his scales but thats it....are there any other signs????????
Kazerella Posted - 13/04/2010 : 17:47:19
How long have you had him Louloub?

If you are scared to handle him then this might make him nervous too, because they are good at picking up on people's anxiety. Do you still pick him up even when he's hissy? I think regular handling is the only way to calm him down. Try doing about 5 minutes a day for a few weeks until he gets used to it and you.
LouiseB Posted - 07/04/2010 : 16:26:04
Well, snakes are practically deaf, so it's unlikely to be the noise, unless they're also heaving heavy stuff about and causing the floor to vibrate.
Hoggies do go through phases of pretending to be aggressive, mine is usually fine for months at a time and then does his cobra impersonation for apparently no reason at all. They tend to grow out of it, so it's probably just a case of sticking with him and getting him as used to being handled as you can. If you pick him up when he's hissing, he'll more than likely stop doing it anyway.
Hope this helps.

The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000