The Hognose Snake Forum
The Hognose Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Hognose Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Suddenly she's trying to eat me! Help!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Buphalaphus Posted - 30/01/2010 : 11:33:56
I have had my young hog nose snake for about 9 months and suddenly she tries to eat my hand when this was never a problem before. She used to be very handleable. I am sure that this is a feeding response, definitely not a defensive response. I always feed her in a separate container outside of her enclosure. She will not bite if I wear gloves but once they come off the smell of my hands elicits a feeding response. On a few occasions before I have seen her exhibit the classic head flattening and upward flicking of the tongue defensive response common in hog noses. This is completely different. She chases after my hand now and will immediately start to chomp down, not strike at me, when handled. I offer her the back of my hand so that maybe she can get used to the fact that it's not food before being handled and she opens her tiny little jaws as wide as she can to try to eat me!
Should I:
-Allow her to bite me as much as she wants until she does not associate my hand with feeding?
- Handle her every day until she stops?
Thank you!
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kazerella Posted - 31/01/2010 : 10:10:18
I wouldn't allow her to bite you - just because she is mildly venomous so if she chews enough to inject you you could potentially have a bad reaction.

but I think Sexychef has the right idea - try and disguise your scent with something like a hand wash and then she might not associate you with food.

Is she feeding alright in general?
sexychef Posted - 30/01/2010 : 19:13:47
do you use any anti bac or soap before handerling?

The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000