The Hognose Snake Forum
The Hognose Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Hognose Snake Posts
 Hognose Snake Photos
 Hoggie Bite

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kehhlyr Posted - 27/03/2011 : 20:53:47
Have posted this on the mothership, but would be sensible to post here as well.

I've been planning on doing a full documentation of an envenomated bite from a hoggie for our forums for a while, but wasn't planning on doing it until my hoggies were older.
One of my female hogs had other plans, mainly because of my own stupidity when I was trying to show that snakes will try to eat any prey item regardless of size.

Anyway, bit of background...
I bought a small/medium rat to offer to my hoggie before giving her the proper sized food.

Image to show rat here:

Those of you with a keen eye will notice my pinkie is touching the bit of the towel where some rat flavoured water has gone.
This is where the stupidity happens.

I then pick up the hoggie to offer the rat to it and it decides it wanted a pinky and not a rat.

As you can see in this pic, she got her chops round my finger really well, I didn't think she'd be capable of doing that.
Complacency will be the death of some people.

She was only attached for a couple mins, but it wasn't half hurting. The bite was more painful than any other bite I've had off my reps.
It wasn't a huge intolerable pain, but was more painful than I thought due to her size. I may have muttered an expletive or 3 in the process.
Getting her off was a totally different thing, which I shall not go into.

When I got her off, I could clearly see 1 little fanghole:

Which promptly started leaking the liquid red after about 30 seconds:

it took about 2 mins for it to stop bleeding, which is actually quite a long time for such a small hole.

From now I shall just give a brief bit of info about each of the photos and will post the writeup I made at the time at the end of this post.

This phot was taken 11 minutes after the initial bite.
The lower finger was the one bitten (my left pinkie finger)

14 minutes after I couldn't bend my pinkie properly.
Good pinkie (right hand)

Bitten pinkie (left hand)

Few pics that you can actually see the swelling in.

In the last 2 pics I cross my hands over to try get photos of my 2 pinkies together to show better how swollen it was.
Hard to take the pics though.
I did have to remove my watch as well due to the strap starting to become very tight.

Through the beginning of it, my hand, fingers and arm were itching like you wouldn't believe, there was very little pain.

This is a copy of the text document I made throughout most of the process that day and partially the next day.

21st march 2011

9.03pm bite on left pinky, hurts a lot more than I though it would, more than the kings.
9.06pm hoggie removed
9.11pm bite and bite area no longer hurting.
9.14pm finger tingly and slight swelling.
9.16pm finger starting to itch
9.17pm inability to bend finger
9.19pm strange slightly numb sensation up hand to wrist
9.21pm finger REALLY itchy - can feel geartbeat in the finger - watch starting to feel tight, could be illusion though.
9.24pm lower arm starting to feel itchy
9.27pm finger is very firm and swollen, arm itchy and slightly numbed.
9.28pm aside from the initial bite, there is no pain yet, just discomfort due to tingly feeling in finger, hand and just past wrist.
9.32pm little movement from bitten finger, 10 sec vid made.
9.34pm Arm stil tingly and itching like **** only to just before the elbow, the elbow still seems unaffected.
9.43pm hand feeling more tingly, finger starting to throb.
9.49pm Fingers on left hand fractionally swollen and starting to get numb/tingly feeling over entire hand.
10.16pm Am finding it awkward to open small braplast and tupperware tubs with bitten hand.
10.29pm Knuckles on left hand have nearly disappeared.
10.40pm Elbow starting to itch.
11.15pm movement back in fingers.
11.42pm swelling in fingers/hand still visible. Partial movement returned. Finger tender.

22nd March 2011

0.18am Finger next to bitten one showing visible signs of swelling.
1.53am Back of hand visibly swollen.

10.18am Back of hand swollen, ability to see red lines, assuming it's where venom has traveled.
Discomfort and slight pain when using the hand or fingers that are effected.

23 March 2011
Hand still as previous day in the morning, by the evening my fingers had reduced in size to near normal.
Back of hand was still slightly swollen.
Still tender to use parts of my hand.

24th March 2011
Hand and fingers back to normal, only slight tenderness on back of hand just behind pinkie knuckle in the morning.
By midnight my hand was back to normal.

The question remains, will I do my full documentation again one day??
Yes.
we'll also have an idea on the differences in envenomation with hatchie hoggies to adult hoggies.

Do I recommend doing this???
NO!!
Although only mildy venomous, allergic reactions CAN and DO happen.
I am one of a very lucky few people that even though the bite was unprepared for, I knew if I did have an allergic reaction I was still prepared due to the amount of medical equipment and treatment options we have here at home.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kehhlyr Posted - 28/03/2011 : 11:07:05
She does look very pleased with herself in those pics.
"woo, look at the size of the pinky I've got today {insert massive happy face here}"

LouiseB Posted - 28/03/2011 : 09:45:43
I did sympathise with your suffering, but all I could really think was how cute she looked with her little jaws clamped round your finger! Sorry!
But that is an interesting documentation, your reaction lasted a lot longer than I thought it would. I shall certainly be taking more care when I handle my hoggie's food from now on. It just goes to show that you can't take a snake's behaviour for granted.
Louise Posted - 28/03/2011 : 07:41:56
Very interesting post. You can really see the swelling on the last couple of pics.

Hmmm, think I shall cancel my collection of new Hognose! No, joking of course but seeing as I have yet to be bitten by any of my snakes, I'm really hoping the hoggie isn't the first one! Knowing my luck with bites and stings, I will have an allergic reaction!!

I still think that hoggie looks very cute, even when attached to your finger!
sparkaly Posted - 27/03/2011 : 21:32:38
Opps sorry Kehhlyr .......bit of finger trouble with your name then ....... SORRY :)
sparkaly Posted - 27/03/2011 : 21:30:16
What a good documentation, glad your hand is back to normal now Kehhlry. I wouldn't have thought that little mouth could get a hold of your finger.
The things you do to let others see what happens with a hoggy bite eh .............we shall have to name you Kehhlry the Guinea Pig :)

The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000