The Hognose Snake Forum
The Hognose Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Hognose Snake Posts
 Hognose Snake - General Keeping Information
 Little Hoggie

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ailsa Posted - 14/05/2011 : 16:49:04
Am warming to the idea of getting a little Hoggie, so have added this to my wish list, now time for me to do my research. How are hoggies care wise when you first bring them home? I know they are huffy puffy wee critters and smelly too with the musking and that they can go off their food when you first get them, with al the stress of being moved to a new home, who can blame them lol.

Am hoping for a baby hoggie around the 4/6 month age.
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
LouiseB Posted - 18/06/2011 : 10:16:38
Mine are both boys and, while I've had my problems with them, I wouldn't change them for the world. Not even bitey Bob and his venomous mini-fangs!
Baldrick has always been quite feisty and he still has the occasional huff and puff; Bob is very chilled and the biting incident seems to have been pretty out of character. They can all vary in personality so it's difficult to say how yours will be, but if you just give him or her a bit of space in the first couple of weeks, and don't be put off by any little displays of aggression, I'm sure you'll get on fine.
Toki Posted - 16/06/2011 : 21:08:36
My boy Toki personality wise was brilliant when we got him, fine, never hooded, active and curious.
We had him at 4 months old.
Although it took a good 6 weeks for him to eat, there's old posts on here from me going HEEELP! lol.

Since he started eating how ever, he never missed a feed, eventually on rat pups.

We sadly lost him a few weeks ago, miss him very much, he was such a character. We are however getting another in august, a female this time :).

They are lovely snakes, Toki only ever hooded at us a couple of times. Once a few months back when I hadn't washed my hands after cleaning out my kingsnake, actually he went the whole hog (see what i did there? :p) and played dead, but as soon as i held him when he'd unwound himself he was fine lol. And a couple of weeks ago when he was ill.
He never musked either - so he didnt smell, other than the usual poop lol.

I will always have a hoggie now, they are excellent! Please get one, you won't regret it :D
Chromisca Posted - 14/05/2011 : 23:14:12
Boss has been a great eater, he didn't eat the first week I offered food to him after getting him, but took the next week. He also refused a few weeks ago, I waited a week and tried again, and he took it no problems

He's a little hissy at times (especially when shedding, but that's understandable) that's about it. But all in all, great snakes, glad you're looking into them!
kdlang Posted - 14/05/2011 : 21:41:51
I have had no problems with my female. She has eaten well from the start, the only time she puffed her hood up was when my son startled her when she was blue and the only time she has hissed was when I disturbed her changing her water when she was deep in blue. She is a bit quick but soon settles in your hand. My male is really chilled out but is being a finicky feeder. I'm putting it down to horny male mode at the moment. I'm actually disappointed they are not more feisty lol.

The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000