The Hognose Snake Forum
The Hognose Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Hognose Snake Posts
 Hognose Snake - General Keeping Information
 A Little Feeding Help

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Headlow Posted - 14/02/2011 : 21:33:59
Evening all

Just over a week ago I picked up a little female Western Hog. She's not even a foot long, and I have her in an Exo Terra 12x12 terrarium. Heat is provided by a heat mat and a low wattage basking lamp. Hot end temps are 32 and the ambient temp is 25/26.

I know it's still early, and she's still settling in, but I've tried feeding her twice (second time scented wit tuna) and she's having none of it. I've been placing her food on top of a flat hide and leaving it with her. I haven't been handling her at all and don't plan to until she's had a few feeds. She's also very active during the day, so I don't think she's in shed.

The seller said she last fed a week before I picked her up, and I've no reason to doubt him. I do know that it's early to be worrying, but because she's so tiny I'd like to get her feeding as soon as possible.

If you've any tips or tricks I'd appreciate your help.

Cheers,

Justin

4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
LouiseB Posted - 17/02/2011 : 15:04:00
Hurrah! They always do eventually...
Headlow Posted - 16/02/2011 : 16:48:36
She just ate for me :)
Headlow Posted - 14/02/2011 : 23:54:19
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

Patience is the way to go I'm afraid.
My little male was about 8 or 10 weeks before he decided to take any foods. As I said in a post somewhere that I can't remember, I downsized my faun and basically ignored the thing completely for a while, then it ate happily then.

Not sure if a basking lamp and heat mat is needed though, I personally would just go with the mat.

Cheers Kehhlyr.

My snakes are in a converted attic, so the basking lamp is needed to help with the ambient temps.
Kehhlyr Posted - 14/02/2011 : 23:15:53
Patience is the way to go I'm afraid.
My little male was about 8 or 10 weeks before he decided to take any foods. As I said in a post somewhere that I can't remember, I downsized my faun and basically ignored the thing completely for a while, then it ate happily then.

Not sure if a basking lamp and heat mat is needed though, I personally would just go with the mat.

The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000