The Hognose Snake Forum
The Hognose Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Hognose Snake Posts
 Hognose Snake - General Keeping Information
 Non feeder.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
filardimarg2 Posted - 28/01/2011 : 12:02:08
I could really do with some help & advice please.
I have taken on my daughters non feeding hoggie, she got her from the portsmouth show last October, the woman selling her also had live feeders on the table.
She is in a small rub, 8inches X 6inches, did have her on kitchen roll as substrat but i have changed her to aspen, she was kept in the heated rep room, i have put the rub onto a heat mat.
My daughter had tried scenting pinkies with tuna, salmon, braining it, also leaving snake in deli cup over night with pinkie, she also tried cuting pinkie up into smaller parts.
My temps are 83f warm end, cool end about 72ish, i only had this snake yesterday, did the changes last night, so haven't tried to feed her yet.
Sorry this a long post.

7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mandie Posted - 20/02/2011 : 12:34:53
These hatchlings could well have been eating well with breeder then stop due to stress of move and change of environment, any I sell go with my contact details to ensure owners can come back to me for help. Sometimes a long car journey will throw the switch and see them eating like pigs again, sold a young female non feeder last yr only to get a call the next day to say she'd eaten - can't tell you how frustrating that is for a breeder lmao.

You need to up the temps to 88 - 90 degree's, remove water for a few days then offer a very warm wet meal at the very least the hognose will drink the water and get a scent of dinner. Try again a few days later, this time brain and stab the abdomen before offering very wet again, 90% will take at this point.

I've got a red albino pair that haven't fed since last october, they're mating so I don't expect the male to feed until he's left the female for a few wks, the female I'm hoping will regain her appetite once she's gravid. Good luck
Technobimbo Posted - 19/02/2011 : 17:13:47
Unfortunately this is just the way with some hoggies... Mine ate really well and anything I offered for a long time when I first had him, and then he decided to stop eating. He went around 13 or 14 weeks before he started eating again, but to be honest I just left him to it and did no more than go down a prey size and brain and heat it. He then went on for a good long time as if nothing had happened.

He is fasting again at the moment. I try not to stress with it, as I'm sure that does not help the situation, but just keep his temps stable, his habitat good, try not to worry too much and offer as usual once a week. My lad is as active as ever he was and just as hissy and hoody as he ever is on a few occassion, just decides to not eat for a while.

Hope he starts to eat for you, but just posted the above to let you know that they can be finniky at times and go for quite long periods without eating.
filardimarg2 Posted - 11/02/2011 : 13:22:45
Well, she ate, but not a pinkie, i was told maybe to try a flake of tuna or salmon, i did try the salmon & she ate a tiny bit, not great but it's a start i suppose.
Just hope now she will eat more & eventually get her onto scented pinkies.
Marg.
filardimarg2 Posted - 29/01/2011 : 13:01:38
I will try that, thanks for the advice.
It is really annoying isnt it, that woman telling people the hatchlings are eating well, this was my daughters first ever snake, it has really put her off the idea of owning a snake, although she has got a male hoggie that has always eaten for her.
I will let you know if/when i have any success.
Marg.
Kehhlyr Posted - 29/01/2011 : 02:57:47
Give the ignoring treatment a go, it seemed to work well for me when all else had failed.

And yes, the short blonde haired lass, sounds like the same person.
filardimarg2 Posted - 28/01/2011 : 23:22:24
That is very interesting, it is the same person i think, my daughter said on the right at the back.She also said the woman was small & blonde.
I have heard that some people take there snakes for a ride in the car & then feed them, something about getting the gastric juices going....well i had to drive 50 miles home, so i tried her when we got home, i really thought she would take it, her tongue was flicking very fast & she came right up to the pinkie, but never did take it, a bit dissapointing.
I am living in hope though.
Marg.

Kehhlyr Posted - 28/01/2011 : 13:24:18
Can you ask her where at the show was the table?
I picked up a hoggie from the portsmouth show and that's taken an entire 2 pinkies now since October.
I asked about how well it was feeding and they were adamant that it feeds well weekly. I got mine from at the back nearly in the right hand corner.

I tried everything she has tried, but to no avail. I shall list what I done to get mine to feed.

First I moved it into a 6x4 inch tub (it was in the same size rub as yours), it had about an inch deep of substrate, 1 small hide and a water bowl. The sides of the tub were covered. This went half onto a heatmat that has the temps stable at 32c, where I practically ignored the snake for about 10 days. I went in every 2-3 days to change the water, that was it.
After about 10 days, I put a warmed pinky and put it into a cricket tub that had paper sellotaped around the outside of it, then in popped the hoggie. I then put the cricket tub back onto a heatmat in it's entirety. The heatmat is on a shelf in my boa viv, and where it was located made it very dark and very warm for the hoggie, it had nothing to do but stay warm and eat the pinky.

When I checked it about 6 hours later, it had eaten the pinky.
Basically all I had really done was move it into a smaller home and near as damn ignored it so it could really relax and get used to it's home, then I gave it nothing to do for a few hours except eat.

After he had time for his foods to settle I then treated him as I do the rest of my snakes, he came out when I wanted him to etc, I put him into a cricket tub the other day to feed him, he took the pinky gently and quickly.
I think he just wanted a lot longer to decide that his new home was safe.

The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000