The Hognose Snake Forum
The Hognose Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Hognose Snake Posts
 Hognose Snake - General Keeping Information
 Reason for Hognose Venom

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alex Earl Posted - 16/12/2010 : 14:53:13
i was wondering why hognose snakes have a mild venom, is this to aid in digestion or am i wrong?

thanks
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
LouiseB Posted - 21/12/2010 : 10:50:13
Yeah, mine did that when he was still relatively young, and he does do it occasionally if I startle him. He also does it at my dad every time he sees him - he just seems to have taken a dislike to him for some reason!
Alex Earl Posted - 20/12/2010 : 18:10:42
he digested it fine, he had a nearly successful shed (had to give him a warm bath to help him with the tail tip and a random part in the middle of his body). just so i dont have to start a new thread, does anyone elses hognose randomly hiss? mines has done it twice today and im a good 2 metres away from his tank. its like he wants my attention
LouiseB Posted - 20/12/2010 : 12:49:38
My hoggy always tries to grab his food around the middle first - I wonder if it's because they need to get hold of a fleshy bit in order to envenomate it?
Alex Earl Posted - 17/12/2010 : 11:41:02
yer it was a very very long time, but once he had started i couldnt take it off him so i let him finish. i think the main problem was that he was in shed so couldnt see what he was doing (he started to try and eat the bottom of the container first) and then started eating the fuzzy at an awkward angle. im going to cut the legs off next time and make sure i hold it in front of him so he takes the head first
LouiseB Posted - 17/12/2010 : 11:19:52
I think it's more likely to have been because of the blood getting squashed towards the head, especially if he ate it rear end first. Its not uncommon for prey items to bleed from the nose and eyes in this situation due to the pressure build up.
Just as an aside, that's a very long time for a small snake to spend eating a single item. It may have been too big for him? I know you were asking about this on another thread, but it might be worth trying him with a smaller fuzzie next time.
Alex Earl Posted - 16/12/2010 : 15:43:28
i just watched my hognose eat his first fuzzy, it took about an hour and a half and it looked like the face of the fuzzy (he ate it bum first)started becoming very deformed and pink looking (like there was no fur), do you reckon this may have been due to the venom?
LouiseB Posted - 16/12/2010 : 15:17:31
I think it's so they can either paralyse or kill their prey. Although it's not generally harmful to humans, the venom does work on toads and rodents, as I understand it.

The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000