The Hognose Snake Forum
The Hognose Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Hognose Snake Posts
 Hognose Snake - General Keeping Information
 hognose feeding

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alex Earl Posted - 28/11/2010 : 23:23:33
i got my first hognose snake today and i was wondering how often these little guys eat? i have seen people saying every 4 days, is this ok for a young hognose or is it too soon to feed again?

thanks
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alex Earl Posted - 16/12/2010 : 15:39:55
only took about an hour and a half for him to swallow it, but he did try eat it diagonally so the legs got in the way. guess ill cut the legs off next time so it is easier for him to swallow it.
Alex Earl Posted - 16/12/2010 : 11:57:48
going to try a nice and flat fuzzy today (looks like its been stood on :P), but he's having his first shed with me, time to see if hes like my other snakes and eats whenever or if hes a fussy thing
LouiseB Posted - 14/12/2010 : 14:25:43
I know, they've got their priorities all wrong ;)
I would definitely try fuzzies, then. Sounds like he will manage them easily.
Alex Earl Posted - 13/12/2010 : 18:39:22
he is already on 2 pinkys and ate them in under 3 minutes (including the time he used to sniff around). damn them for blocking youtube at work, thats one of the best ways to kill time :P
LouiseB Posted - 13/12/2010 : 13:00:35
If in doubt, you could always try him with two pinkies and see if he takes them. If he does, you could move up to fuzzies. Sorry I can't watch the video, but I'm replying from work and You Tube is blocked!
Alex Earl Posted - 13/12/2010 : 01:20:32
iv got a video of my western hognose eating. he ate the pinkys quite quick (well compared to my corns who eat pinkys) so i was wondering if he is big enough for fuzzys or is he still to small?

thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRphxv52elE
Andy_G Posted - 04/12/2010 : 20:57:09
Smaller, more frequent meals are ALWAYS better than less frequent, larger ones when it comes to any species. Feeding equal or slightly larger than the girth is perfect.
LouiseB Posted - 03/12/2010 : 11:00:28
I would say so, because you still want there to be a visible lump in his middle after he's eaten.
One thing I would say is that I recommend you get some digital scales so you can weigh him. I just use ordinary kitchen ones that cost me about a fiver, nothing fancy, but it does help me to make sure he isn't losing weight.
Alex Earl Posted - 02/12/2010 : 17:44:44
guess ill never know his birthday. one more thing, cause these are such a chunky snake, do you still follow the rule of a preys maximum size must be a width and a bit of the snakes thickest part?
LouiseB Posted - 02/12/2010 : 13:12:07
Hard to say cos they vary in size so much, but perhaps between 8 months and a year?
Alex Earl Posted - 30/11/2010 : 16:20:25
well im not sure how old he is, the reptile shop didnt even know they had him in stock as they rarely get them in. he is about 20cm long (i dont know weight as i havent got any scales). any idea roughly how old he is by the idea of his length?
LouiseB Posted - 30/11/2010 : 13:02:59
I do try to feed mine as often as Andy G says, but he is a male (my hoggy, that is) and he can be a bit awkward! But yes, if he is only a baby, then every 3-4 days would be fine.
Andy_G Posted - 29/11/2010 : 23:45:55
I feed my hatchlings every 3 days, yearlings every 4, and adults every 5 days. These snakes have a fast metabolism and are always hungry if kept at the proper temperatures.
Lettsy1 Posted - 29/11/2010 : 12:39:37
hiya hun, i feed my yr old every 6 days now, used to feed every 5 but he tends to go a bit longer now inbetween but everyone is different.

The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000