The Hognose Snake Forum
The Hognose Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Hognose Snake Posts
 Hognose Snake - General Keeping Information
 Just a myth? Different temper male/female

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Sika Posted - 21/09/2010 : 14:04:33
Hi.
I'm about to get a hoggie, but have read that males often are more dosile and good tempered than females... is that a general thing?

And are there other differences between the sexes?

Sika
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sika Posted - 04/11/2010 : 20:16:20
My hoggy just wriggles like a worm when I pick him up
And he's so nosey when out of his viv... I think he rather enjoys it...
Last time I fed him, he was so active - really hunting - and snapping after everything; but after he ate I could easily pick him up and put him back in his viv (were he almost bit his own tail cause it wriggled!) little baby
LouiseB Posted - 04/11/2010 : 11:49:19
I think my hoggy can probably see better than my corn, when I come to think of it. His gaze always looks a bit more focused than hers does, somehow.
You're lucky if he's never hissed at you - my hoggy had a really big tantrum last time I fed him. It sounded like a rattlesnake had somehow got into the room!
Sika Posted - 03/11/2010 : 20:46:33
Okay Boze.
Yeah their eyesight's pretty good,
I haven't yet freaked him out.. he's too friendly I think xD
He's never huffed or puffed at me, and is so nosey I can't do anything before he comes to check out what xD
boze Posted - 03/11/2010 : 18:37:04
Ive noticed my hoggie has WAY better eyesight than my royal. All this means is you should just move more slowly when youre handling him as he will get freaked out more easily by things moving (your other hand etc). Just take it easy and handle often and hell settle down :-)

D
Sika Posted - 26/09/2010 : 20:16:24
Thanks for the replies guys :D
Look forward to getting one of these small drama queens xD
Andy_G Posted - 26/09/2010 : 18:33:15
Just pick him up and he will stop.
jamie6125 Posted - 26/09/2010 : 08:17:04
ive read and heard that males are a bit more erm vocal. lol ive only had my male a short time and never experienced a female temprement.

just another question my corns are really placid so when its time to hande my hoggie? and he hissy and huffy your natural reaction is to leave alone isnt it? but as im fully aware of all the display behaviour
he should calm down as soon as ive picked him up right???

j
Elbee Posted - 23/09/2010 : 05:32:54
My female is super docile and has never refused a meal. I think you will be fine with a male or female. Good luck to you!
Andy_G Posted - 22/09/2010 : 18:27:01
All of my females are more hungry than my males and will sometimes go for my fingers if they think it's food. I've never seen any other difference in temperment aside from that.
Sika Posted - 22/09/2010 : 15:13:29
Okay, I'll definitely take that into consideration :)
Thanks for sharing ;)
LouiseB Posted - 22/09/2010 : 09:33:25
I'm not sure why males are fussier eaters - I've never really thought about it! It's not necessarily a problem, but if you don't have previous experience with snakes it can be a bit disconcerting when they don't eat for a long time.
The size difference isn't significant enough to affect what space you need for them, so it's really up to you if you want a male or a female. I have a male and he's great but he can be difficult to feed!
Sika Posted - 21/09/2010 : 21:02:02
Okay. Is it known why males are fussier eaters and is it a problem?
Was thinking about getting a male because of the smaller size (and my smaller apartment) :)
LouiseB Posted - 21/09/2010 : 15:55:21
I only have a male, so I'm not sure about the difference in temperaments... but males can be fussier eaters than females, I'd say that would be the main difference really. Females also tend to get bigger than males.

The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000