The Hognose Snake Forum
The Hognose Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Hognose Snake Posts
 Hognose Snake - General Keeping Information
 upset over hognose bite

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Elbee Posted - 13/06/2010 : 20:17:58
Hey guys, I have a 10 month old female western hognose named Magnolia (Maggie). She has always been super docile and friendly. I could put my hand under her nose and she would crawl up in my hand. She has never flared up, struck, or played dead or showed any signs of aggression or stress. Well a couple of days ago I go to get her out of her cage and she bites me and hangs on. She let go when I shook my hand a little bit and it didn't hurt, but it upset me because she is so sweet and everyone talks about how they only bite as a last resort when threatened and even when they strike it is with their mouth closed as a bluff. Now, I thought it could have been a feeding response because I normally feed her every 5 to 7 days and we have had a family crisis where I have not been home to feed in probably 2 weeks. Could it be because she was hungry or is she turning aggressive? She has been out and about in her cage more and temps have been a little higher in the room she is in as it gets warmer. she does have a thermostat to regulate temp. Any ideas welcome. Thank you and God bless.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
LouiseB Posted - 16/06/2010 : 09:10:17
If they bite and hang on, it's usually a feeding response - if it was an aggressive bite, she would have just struck at you quickly. So I wouldn't worry too much about it. I got bitten by my hoggy once when he made a lunge at a pinkie while I was still holding it, and he got my finger instead. He soon let go when he realised he couldn't swallow me!
Andy_G Posted - 15/06/2010 : 14:50:58
Feeding outside the enclosure has no influence on whether you will be bitten or not inside the cage. When they are hungry and they see something smaller then them moving, if they aren't afraid of it, they will try to eat it, especially females during breeding season. Keep this in mind for when your little one grows up.
Keri Posted - 14/06/2010 : 19:13:32
:) No worries
Elbee Posted - 14/06/2010 : 15:13:49
Thanks you! I fed her, she didnt eat any more aggressive than usual. She never really strikes, she just kind of takes the pinkie from the tongs. I also feed her in a seperate container, so that is why I also thought it was odd that she bit inside her cage. Thanks for your help!
Keri Posted - 14/06/2010 : 09:45:41
That bite doesn't sound aggressive at all, it just sounds like she was hungry - she was just doing what she usually does when she's hungry: put food in her mouth. You were just more "food" than she could handle! ;) Feed her and I doubt it will happen again.

The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000