The Hognose Snake Forum
The Hognose Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Hognose Snake Posts
 Hognose Snake - General Keeping Information
 eating and handling

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
crazysnakeman Posted - 14/04/2010 : 20:58:14
Heya, I'm new to this forum, and heres my first topic!

So for most snakes, you'd leave them for 48 hours after eating before you would handle them. However, a hognoses metabollic rate is about twice that of a normal snake. Does this mean you can effectively halve the waiting time, and handle after 24 hours?

Cheers,
Josh
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kazerella Posted - 20/04/2010 : 17:32:51
I always leave mine a good 48 hours after feeding. Same reason- I do not want to risk a regurge. Not sure if their metabolism is twice as fast. I know it's a bit quicker, but wouldn't say it's that much faster. A yearling corn would be fed once every 7 days, whereas a hoggy of the same age would be about every 5.
LouiseB Posted - 20/04/2010 : 15:43:19
I'd at least leave any handling until after the lump has gone from your hoggie's stomach. Even if he seems happy to be handled sooner than that, you're the rational, intelligent one and you know what's best for him more than he does! Handling him too soon after feeding risks making him regurge his feed, and could even cause damage to his internal organs, i.e. with semi-digested bits of bone poking through his gut.
crazysnakeman Posted - 16/04/2010 : 20:29:28
I'd be inclined to agree I think, I've only had hoggies since the summer of last year, so they're still new to me, but I'm finding them to be a delight, mine seems to be far more intelligent then every other snake a have, and takes very little time to learn routines and things. If a hognoses metabolic rate is twice that of other colubrids, it would make sense to follow on that their digestion is faster, but I guess better safe then sorry! This is my first non - rescue snake, and it's almost like working a blank canvas, every other snake I have has come with problems - dehydration, cuts, mites, not feeding etc etc and it takes alot to sort it, having a new snake straight from a breeder is a different ball game and I'm really loving it!

Josh
Technobimbo Posted - 16/04/2010 : 15:07:55
My hoggie is often roaming round his viv for an hour or more after a feed, but to be honest, I would not want to put them through a regurge, so always leave it 48 hours before handling any more than can be helped. Have occassionally had to handle snakes day after feed to move them when equip gone wrong, but always kept to minimum handling.

All down to you as an owner really - I would not risk it, as not good for the snake, and we know how to resist our urges.
stickbow Posted - 15/04/2010 : 14:50:52
Hi There
I feed my female hoggie about once a week, and when I put her back in her viv she goes around it once and then taps the glass for me to get her out, if I leave her she keeps tapping for an hour or more but if I get her out she plays, running around my hands for half an hour then just rests and goes to sleep on my hand. My male is just the opposite he just goes into his hide for a day and then comes out to play around his viv. Hope this helps a bit (all snakes are different)

The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000