The Hognose Snake Forum
The Hognose Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Hognose Snake Posts
 Hognose Snake - General Keeping Information
 New hognose

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
hot_brody Posted - 29/03/2010 : 19:48:41
Hi, i got my hognose on thursday and tried to feed him last night but he wouldnt eat the pinky. I made sure i didnt move too quickly as to scare him and the pinky was thawed out properly. He just hissed and striked at it then slithered off. This is my 1st snake so obviously this is all new to me!
Any help would be great.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kazerella Posted - 13/04/2010 : 17:40:24
I think it's cute when my hoggy hisses. He thinks he's Rambo or someone equally hard
tessymal Posted - 07/04/2010 : 22:00:39
my hoggnose hissed and striked for the first 7 months, he tends to just hiss a little now
LouiseB Posted - 06/04/2010 : 10:57:34
I'm glad the little blighter is behaving himself... they are uniquely feisty snakes but you've got ot love them really!
hot_brody Posted - 03/04/2010 : 22:31:33
Well he fed tonight :) He has me wondering if he would or not cause he kept biting it then leaving it for a while. But he obviously couldnt resist for long!
hot_brody Posted - 31/03/2010 : 16:33:48
Yeah i no its all just an act but it never fails to make me just when ever he does it! Frightens the life out of me!
LouiseB Posted - 31/03/2010 : 11:03:58
Hoggies can seem quite aggressive when they're new, and go through the motions of hissing and puffing up their heads, maybe even pretending to strike at you. But it's all an act! What you need to do is go ahead and pick him up anyway, and you'll find that once he's on your hand he'll stop hissing and calm down generally. They hardly ever bite and even if they do, it's not painful.
hot_brody Posted - 30/03/2010 : 16:33:41
Ok, thanks. I tried to feed him then cause thats what the shop told me to do..even though i thought i should probably leave him for longer. Ill try again in a week or so. He wont let me pick him up right now though so i dont no how id get him in another box to feed him! I called him irwin..
LouiseB Posted - 30/03/2010 : 15:36:36
You probably tried to feed him a bit too soon after you got him home. Most snakes, and particularly hoggies, need a while to get used to new surroundings, otherwise they do tend to refuse food. Leave him be for another week or so and then try again - he won't starve!
You can either try feeding him with tongs, or you could put the pinky in a small box and then put the hoggy in with it and leave him alone for half an hour or so. They tend to prefer a dark, enclosed space when they're feeding, at least until they're used to it. My hoggy will now eat anywhere but he was very shy when I first got him and it took a while for him to get enough confidence to feed when people were watching!
Let us know how it goes. What's you new hoggy called?
hot_brody Posted - 29/03/2010 : 19:50:45
Oh.. and also, i wondered whether i should just leave the pinky in the tank or feed it to him with tongs?

The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000