The Hognose Snake Forum
The Hognose Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Hognose Snake Posts
 Hognose Snake - General Keeping Information
 sand??

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
theresa Posted - 01/03/2010 : 14:18:05
hey i was wondering if childrens sand pit sand is ok 2 use in my hoggies tank??? its sterlised and free from salt?? im payen 7.50 for a small bag an i cn git a big bag of childrens sand for 15??
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Chae Posted - 12/07/2010 : 16:17:06
i use the aspen bedding and it is great! Its easy to clean and easy to sift through when trying to find lil Roxanne. I tried the calcium sand for a bit, but was worried about impaction and all the extra calcium in it so I switched to aspen.
Kazerella Posted - 12/07/2010 : 15:18:49
Not sure about Eco-earth. Can't see it hurting if it was allowed to dry out, but it's usually used for high humidity exotics.
dano Posted - 03/06/2010 : 12:24:14
what about eco earth that top soil stuff
kay Posted - 25/05/2010 : 22:44:39
I like ground walnut shell, and its not so much of a problem with impaction.............
boze Posted - 19/05/2010 : 00:56:32
I prefer aspen to be honest, they love burrowing in it because their tunnels stay where they dig them, its absorbent, easy to clean and looks good :-)

D
Lettsy1 Posted - 17/05/2010 : 10:25:07
i've got frank on sand, he absolutely adores it! will always take him outta viv to feed because of impaction, i also find it easier to clean cos it all 'clumps up' dont know about any other type of sand to use cos hes on the special reptile stuff. the only thing i have had happen is me to panic cos he had buried himself completely so thought he had got out! found him and he just looked at me as if to say 'what?????' :s
LouiseB Posted - 15/05/2010 : 10:05:23
I think if you do keep them on sand, you have to be absolutely strict about not feeding them in their viv, as it's easy for bits of sand to get stuck on the prey and cause impaction.
hc-burrel Posted - 07/05/2010 : 08:38:23
You have to undo the sand of sharp peaces of rock, shells and even glass.
I prever to use aquarium sand (river sand)no need to filter this kind of sand.

When I used childrens sand pit sand after a whyle Ive got a verry strong smell of the sea, it smelled extreamly salty after a month.

Just like with humans, to much salt is not healty.
So my opinion is that childrens sand pit sand contanes to much salt.

I used it a vew months whit out problems.
But I prever river sand.

In the wild hognose snakes live in sand like area's so the sand should not be a problem.
My hognoses are doing great on sand for about 3 years now.

But your gonna smell ther poo al lot more then when kept on wood.
Bufo Bill Posted - 06/05/2010 : 19:13:46
Sorry to dig up an old topic, but my question seems relavent... can calcium sand be deemed suitable as a substrate? I had read this dissolves in the gut within reason ( unless a huge amount was swallowed, which is unlikely if the animal hubandry is correct ).
Kazerella Posted - 10/03/2010 : 14:53:11
I think they can be kept on sand, although most do not recommend it because of the chance of impaction (blockage in the digestive tract) and the possibility of irritating the snakes eyes.
theresa Posted - 01/03/2010 : 15:32:50
my hoggie loves sand so i wana keep him in it! ill try google an see if i cn dig sumfing up! thanks
sexychef Posted - 01/03/2010 : 14:25:31
im not sure on this. i have never looked into snad as a substrate for hoggies. but just googled and it came up with it is safe for reptiles couldnt nowwor it down to hoggies tho

The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000