The Hognose Snake Forum
The Hognose Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Hognose Snake Posts
 Hognose Snake - General Keeping Information
 So, basically.. im confused... :o

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
murhawk Posted - 24/12/2009 : 16:35:46

Righteo, I have since decided to steer away from two hoggies in one viv...
I have been doing a lot of internet research but i have drawn a blank.
Firstly;

Housing
A 10 gallon tank is sutible for a fully grown male am I right? What is the metric value which adult hoggies can be housed in. Im particularly interested in providing plenty of climbing logs and even heating, therefore would it be neccessary to go for a bigger viv? Relating to this what is the maximum size a hoggie could live comfortably in?

Feeding
I have seen a youtube video where a hoggie is nomming on a boiled egg... Is this healthy for a hoggie?
I think some variance, or rather, a treat in their diet so is it wise to feed a hoggie a bit of egg?

Shedding
Would it be advisable to spray the hoggie when going into shed, or just put some rocks in to help him/her scratch it off.
When should i give her/him a bath to help rub off skin because she/he isnt shedding properly?

Thats about all i need to know at the moment, Its a bit of a list I know, I know.. But any ideas would be a HUUUGE help because all the internet jargon is giving me a headache lol :o :D

Thanks
Rosie xx
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
theresa Posted - 11/01/2010 : 12:09:41
awww rite mite b worth a try
Gazza Posted - 10/01/2010 : 19:58:53
A good few years ago, I had a royal python which was a bit of a poor shedder, and I tried everything from baths to humid hides, I then got told that I should add a few drops of bsp to my water, and after a while it seemed to help him out. Ever since then, I've always used it, and I don't really experiance any bad shedders throughout my collection.

But as I said this is just my own opinion.

sexychef Posted - 10/01/2010 : 18:26:38
just had a quick look and its a vitamin supliment but cant see where it comes into shedding
theresa Posted - 10/01/2010 : 17:19:29
me neather but gazza said ''I have always added BSP drops to the water of all my snakes and found that it normally helps the snakes with a full shed''

jist wondering what it was lol
sexychef Posted - 10/01/2010 : 15:49:55
never heard of it!
theresa Posted - 10/01/2010 : 02:26:13
mite sound silly but wats BSP????
Gazza Posted - 09/01/2010 : 18:06:08
If it helps I house my adult males in medium conticos or 9litre really useful boxes.
As I find sometimes bigger causes them to stop feeding etc.

As for feeding, I only feed mine mice, occasionally they may get a rat each, but that will only be if I need a bit of extra weight on them for breeding purposes.

Then as for shedding, just make sure that there is something for the snake to rub against to aid it in pulling the old skin off, a healthy snake will generally shed in a full skin.
Little tip: I have always added BSP drops to the water of all my snakes and found that it normally helps the snakes with a full shed.

Just my ten pence worth.

murhawk Posted - 25/12/2009 : 14:33:05
Thank you very much! Thats explained a lot!!
sexychef Posted - 24/12/2009 : 22:40:32
quote:
Originally posted by murhawk

Righteo, I have since decided to steer away from two hoggies in one viv...
I have been doing a lot of internet research but i have drawn a blank.
Firstly;

Housing
A 10 gallon tank is sutible for a fully grown male am I right? What is the metric value which adult hoggies can be housed in. Im particularly interested in providing plenty of climbing logs and even heating, therefore would it be neccessary to go for a bigger viv? Relating to this what is the maximum size a hoggie could live comfortably in?
a hohgnose will be happy in a a 2foot by 2foot viv, they are NOT good climbers they would be happier with lots of substrate to burrow in. a larger space may stress it out

Feeding
I have seen a youtube video where a hoggie is nomming on a boiled egg... Is this healthy for a hoggie?
I think some variance, or rather, a treat in their diet so is it wise to feed a hoggie a bit of egg?
i my self have asked this question. and i found that it does no harm as they eat eggs in the wild (but i didnt know they could use a stove and boil water lol) but apperently it makes a mess a few days later

Shedding
Would it be advisable to spray the hoggie when going into shed, or just put some rocks in to help him/her scratch it off.
When should i give her/him a bath to help rub off skin because she/he isnt shedding properly?
a little mist will do no harm bout the easier option is a moist hide using spagum moss?how to make?. as for the bath bit ask that question when it comes to it there are more tricks than just a bath

Thats about all i need to know at the moment, Its a bit of a list I know, I know.. But any ideas would be a HUUUGE help because all the internet jargon is giving me a headache lol :o :D

Thanks
Rosie xx

The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000