The Hognose Snake Forum
The Hognose Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Hognose Snake Posts
 Hognose Snake - General Keeping Information
 Madagascar Giant Hognose

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
LDP Posted - 25/10/2009 : 23:05:23
Hi

I've been back and forward on getting a Madagascar Giant Hognose (Leioheterodon madagascariensis for ages.

It will upset the Mrs but I'm sure she'd get over it...lol

I believe the young are very quick to bite and don't bluff like the westerns but I've also heard the adults to be pretty chilled???

Does anyone here have any experience with these?

6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Paulusworm Posted - 27/10/2009 : 18:33:02
I think that I also read somewhere that due to their much larger size (when compared with a western) they have a larger volume of venom "on tap" so you would receive a much larger envenomation than that received from one of the smaller North/South American species. Something worth considering before taking the plunge .
Kazerella Posted - 27/10/2009 : 17:44:35
I think if you are really worried, then maybe it's best not to get one.

I would think that most hatchlings that are treated calmly so not feeling threatened would be adverse to biting, but there is always that risk that you get a nasty one.

I think with most hoggys the venom is only dangerous if you are allergic, but really, you'd never know if you were allergic or not unless you actually got bit
Paulusworm Posted - 26/10/2009 : 15:42:11
I think Ian14 has one.

My only concern with that particular species is the size of their gape. They are more likely to be able to tag you with their fangs.
LDP Posted - 26/10/2009 : 14:55:42
Thats pretty much what I think but i guess the big question is how do you tame a rear fanged snake?

My philodryas baroni was a chilled hatchling so I just kept him used to being handled (with caution).

My cali was pure evil when I got him he bit and bit and bit. I gave him regular handling and just let him bite me (I think he really enjoyed it..lol). One day when I got him out he was just a completely different snake and never even tried to bite me after that.

Surely this would not be the right approach with a rear fanged snake, so how would you get it used to being handled?

My big concern with this species is the combination of the size, venom
and bad attitude. I can cope with the first 2 I really only want one of these if I can get it out and handle it (the opinions I have all read make this the case that they are really chilled and enjoy handling but seeing the young has made me wonder how this is achieved).

I do already have a western that likes to try and eat me whenever she can but I can handle that but the Madagascar gets a whole lot bigger. Hence why I've been back and forward over getting one

I could just buy a chilled adult of cause but as this is a pet for life I would much rather have it from hatchling. Also the adults offered all seem to be wild caught and I would rather a captive bred.

I should say that my wife would love a big snake with a bad attitude and would have no problems with it but I don't want to get me a snake that she has to look after.
Kazerella Posted - 26/10/2009 : 10:56:44
I think that's probable with most snakes really - hatchlings are more likely to be feisty as they are easily scared.
Gingerpony Posted - 26/10/2009 : 09:29:41
i not sure they chill that much as adults.........but a couple of forum members have them and they'll be better informed than me lol

The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000